Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default How raised is raised

Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) �I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 4, 4:18�pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. �I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect
plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze
where the ground freezes solid.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sheldon" wrote in message
On Nov 4, 4:18?pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. ?I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect
plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze
where the ground freezes solid.

----------------------

Another case of geographical location specific advice. Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dioclese" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

On Nov 4, 4:18?pm, Omelet wrote:

In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. ?I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect
plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze
where the ground freezes solid.

----------------------

Another case of geographical location specific advice. �Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

I happen to know Omelet's location and climate but it's up to her to
post any particulars.

In a gardening group particularly if anyone cares to have their
queries taken seriously they need to post their location, clearly and
with a degree of specificity so that folks can reply in a utile
manner... it's never the responsibility of posters to search for and
decipher code.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 5, 12:11 pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:
Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Hmmm, indeed.
You might brush up on the proper use of the semi-colon; you might
check
out run together sentences, too, Sheldon.
mle
Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Not overlooking the fact that this is a gardening forum and not on
English grammar. Posters often take great liberties with the English
language without chastisement from self important little twirps, such as
you. Let's take a look at your little work of art.

"Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly (The sentence needs
a period or a conjunction)(Properly should precede construct, as it is
an adverb and sentence a noun. Otherwise, you sound like someone's
affected maiden aunt.) You express yourself with baby talk, may as well
type goo goo gaa gaa. (This is an event that took place in the past,
which requires a past tense: expressed. What did you just do, if not
express yourself in baby talk, and this is in reference to what
element/s of Dioclese's post?) Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena (This is freakin' USENET you idiot. You're lucky not to get
flamed;O), ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the buffoon (You
didn't build much of a case for your opinion, Shelly. Actually, it looks
as if you have indicted yourself.) If you are going continue
participating with Newsgroups you will definitely benefit from a
remedial writing course. (We would all benefit from a writing course,
but of what benefit is it, in this particular news group,except,
perhaps, to keep certain self-important, "toffee-nosed" gits away from
you?)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 06-11-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common
here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Funny. I understood him perfectly. Does that make me as stupid as you
think he is?

Hmmmm. Lemmee see .......... yep, this is a gardening group, and not
alt.properEnglish ......

Steve

Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

One material I haven't seen recommended is stabilized rammed earth -
not for the OP, but they could presumably hire out the labor. You'd
build a simple, low open box (just 4 walls). The advantage you get
here is the mass will help warm the bed earlier in spring, stabilize
temps in the fall.

Stabilized earth is a clay mix with 5-10 percent cement added to it,
compressed using simple form works (in Africa, two boards are held
together with rope). Pound a "lift" of material 6-8 inches until it
rings, repeat until desired height is reached.

Cement is bad, but you are not using a lot of it, and it makes it
possible to create the raised beds out of normal construction site
waste (subsoil). Nothing else needed, will stand up to rain/snow. If
you live in a freezing clime, you will need a base of gravel to
prevent frost heave.

This is a LOT more work than the other suggestions, but I was struck
watching a DVD of monks who tended a garden. Their garden had some
low, 1-wall beds that warmed early in the season, and they were able
to shovel snow off the beds for planting early crops. Really
remarkable simplicity.

Offered in the name of the radish spirit!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sheldon" wrote in message

Am sorry to hear of your low comprehension level regarding sentences not
constructed to your specifications. Perhaps, if you were genuinely
interested in the attempt at communication (purpose), someone else with
better sentence construction could pipe in with such a translation. But,
its doubtful from where I sit that you are truly interested in that...

I did succeed in the communication as per your subsequent weak reply to the
essence (commnication substance). That was buried at the bottom of your
previous reply. "I happen to know Omelet's location and climate but it's up
to her to post any particulars." Again, read my previous reply. If you
don't understand it, maybe someone can translate.

Pointing out grammatical and spelling errors is quite common when the
replier was placed in a position that he/she may be incorrect, and may want
to respond in a hateful manner as a result.. So, guess I'll overlook the
majority of your response. Have a nice day.