GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How raised is raised (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/179599-how-raised-raised.html)

SteveB[_6_] 03-11-2008 11:43 PM

How raised is raised

We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it practical
to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two sufficient? I would
think that whatever you made the raised bed from would rot from water and
gook within a few years. And then, if you use cinderblock or cement, you're
talking high cost and a lot of skilled labor.

Help appreciated.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

David E. Ross 04-11-2008 12:28 AM

How raised is raised

On 11/3/2008 3:43 PM, SteveB wrote:
We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it practical
to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two sufficient? I would
think that whatever you made the raised bed from would rot from water and
gook within a few years. And then, if you use cinderblock or cement, you're
talking high cost and a lot of skilled labor.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Raised beds are generally done to improve drainage in heavy soils, not
to make the beds convenient for people. If you wish to raise your beds
for your convenience, do them as high as you want. Just remember that
the higher you make a bed, the stronger you must make the frame.

I have one raised bed, a square just about a foot high and 40 inches on
a side. This is for a Mineola tangelo because citrus needs soils that
draing very well while my soil is adobe clay. The bed is framed with a
single layer of unmortared cinder blocks. I filled the holes in the
blocks with potting mix and planted wax-leaf begonias in them.

I also have a raised miniature circular bed that is about 6 inches high
and 15 inches in diameter. This is for a foxglove plant. The bed is
framed with a cereal box that I cut apart and stapled to create a ring.
I expect this frame to decompose, by which time the foxglove roots
should hold the raised soil together in a mound.

The rest of my garden is at the original level. I'm 67 and have a bad
back. I work much of my garden on my knees. I use a step bench that
can be turned upside-down; under the step is a 1-inch pad of foam rubber
for my knees. The legs (for when it's right-side-up) assist me to stand
up. Right-side-up, it's very handy for sitting and resting. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/tools.html; scroll down a little past
half-way.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Val 04-11-2008 01:13 AM

How raised is raised

"David E. Ross" wrote in message

Raised beds are generally done to improve drainage in heavy soils, not
to make the beds convenient for people.

You, David E. Ross, are without a doubt one of the most arrogantly ignorant
twits ever encountered in this group!! No, I take that back........you are
just a dumb ****!!

Val

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 04-11-2008 01:21 AM

How raised is raised

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it
practical to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two
sufficient? I would think that whatever you made the raised bed from
would rot from water and gook within a few years. And then, if you use
cinderblock or cement, you're talking high cost and a lot of skilled
labor.

Help appreciated.

Steve

--

Usually they are built some number of boards (or bricks) high. So if you
make them two 8" or 10" boards high you can sit on the edge or sit on a

There are timbers that will last for many years in contact with the soil.
I would stay away from the heavily chemically treated sort - especially for
a vege garden. Here in Australia suitable untreated timbers are among the
native hardwoods, if you get the right sort your fence posts (or garden
beds) will last 30-40 years in the ground. The building trade (here) has a
rating system for timber called durability class which will guide you. I
don't know where you are or what sort of timber is available so I cannot be
specific. Concrete blocks will work too. As with many things the better
solutions tend to be more expensive in the short term but may not be if you
look at their total life.

David

Omelet[_4_] 04-11-2008 01:25 AM

How raised is raised

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

I have one raised bed, a square just about a foot high and 40 inches on
a side. This is for a Mineola tangelo because citrus needs soils that
draing very well while my soil is adobe clay. The bed is framed with a
single layer of unmortared cinder blocks. I filled the holes in the
blocks with potting mix and planted wax-leaf begonias in them.

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) I like them but do have
to add soil to them every year.

Not that that's a bad thing.

I like them.

One is for asparagus and the other is for dad's medicinal flowers such
as marigold and purple cone flower.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Omelet[_4_] 04-11-2008 01:25 AM

How raised is raised

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

"David E. Ross" wrote in message

Raised beds are generally done to improve drainage in heavy soils, not
to make the beds convenient for people.

You, David E. Ross, are without a doubt one of the most arrogantly ignorant
twits ever encountered in this group!! No, I take that back........you are
just a dumb ****!!

Val

What the hell is up with that Val?

Yeesh!

FarmI 04-11-2008 01:36 AM

How raised is raised

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it
practical to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two
sufficient? I would think that whatever you made the raised bed from
would rot from water and gook within a few years. And then, if you use
cinderblock or cement, you're talking high cost and a lot of skilled
labor.

It's very practical to use waist high beds and they are becoming
increasingly popular.

You don't mention where you live but you may be interested in seeing the
following:
http://www.knudsentanks.com.au/links.htm

I've seen these in use at a number of Open Gardens and been very impressed
with the way they grew vegetables and flowers and allowed very elderly
gardeners to continue to garden long after they had trouble bending down.
I've seem then with plastic over to make mini greenhouses and bird netting
over, and just left as beds. Very, very impressive and I want a number of
them but have only recently managed to find them.

Val 04-11-2008 01:51 AM

How raised is raised

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it
practical to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two
sufficient? I would think that whatever you made the raised bed from
would rot from water and gook within a few years. And then, if you use
cinderblock or cement, you're talking high cost and a lot of skilled
labor.

Help appreciated.

Steve

I belonged to a community group that spent two weekends a month building
raised beds for the elderly and disabled. I think you are wise to consider
raised beds now so you can continue gardening comfortably for many years to
come.

Instead of going into lengthy descriptions I will suggest an excellent book.
I'm sure your local library will have this as well as others or be able to
order them if you don't want to purchase. I'm using the link to Amazon since
they give pretty descriptions and reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Accessible-Gar.../dp/0811726525

At the bottom of that link are 'books you might also like'. You might want
to check those out as well.

One of the most popular heights for raised beds we built was 18" high. These
seemed to be easiest to garden while seated, depending on the size of the
person. A sturdy garden stool or laying a board between the bed edges to
form a bench is very comfortable way to garden. It was the most popular
design for our seniors and those with leg and back problems. Desk height
sounds good and logical but it won't take much for a plant to grow too tall
to be easily managed and standing for long periods can become very tiring in
some cases. We found two feet high turned out to be an awkward height for
most people. Too high to sit and too low for bending. You just think you
aren't bending but you are, causing even more back problems. That's why they
tell mothers to *not* change the baby on a bed. Bending over repetitively at
that angle is murder on the lower back. However the beds around the 2 foot
mark was best for those in wheelchairs. Make sure you don't make the beds so
wide you can't reach to tend them while sitting. And take into consideration
if your wife is shorter than you to build these to the comfort to the
smallest person. Tall people can always reach 'short', if one is small
and/or short and having to reach 'tall' it can be very uncomfortable and
frustrating. This is all in the book, you can customize depending on the
height and reach of you and your wife and the lay of the land. We built the
majority of the beds out of cinder block. They lasted indefinitely and the
edge could also be used to sit on. Sometimes a bit more expense initially
will save you dollars down the road, and you will have the pleasure of
gardening for years to come.

Val

Val 04-11-2008 02:07 AM

How raised is raised

I've seem then with plastic over to make mini greenhouses and bird netting
over, and just left as beds. Very, very impressive and I want a number of
them but have only recently managed to find them.

Those are pretty spiffy bins! I used 10ft lengths of PVC pipe bent to arch
over my raised beds. Think covered wagon. You can actually get clips that
will hold materials to the pipe from greenhouse supply places. I used
plastic early and late season, netting to keep the birds out of assorted
yummy fruits and Remy (sp) cloth to keep out the bad bugs on certain crops.
The plastic extended my growing season by at least two and in some cases
three months and the netting saved all the strawberries for human
consumption.

Val

FarmI 04-11-2008 02:53 AM

How raised is raised

"Val" wrote in message

I've seem then with plastic over to make mini greenhouses and bird
netting over, and just left as beds. Very, very impressive and I want a
number of them but have only recently managed to find them.

Those are pretty spiffy bins!

Aren't they just :-)) Very neat once in place and so light to bring into a
garden.

I used 10ft lengths of PVC pipe bent to arch
over my raised beds. Think covered wagon.

Thats the sort of arch I make for putting shade cloth or bird netting over
seedlings or fruit trees. I make arches out of 8 guage fencing wire for
small covers and star pickets (Y posts in US speak) and 2 inch poly pipe for
trees

You can actually get clips that
will hold materials to the pipe from greenhouse supply places.

I use old boards or bricks or just baling twine to keep mine in place.

I used
plastic early and late season, netting to keep the birds out of assorted
yummy fruits and Remy (sp) cloth to keep out the bad bugs on certain
crops.

I've used old net curtains when there has been a locust plague.

The plastic extended my growing season by at least two and in some cases
three months and the netting saved all the strawberries for human
consumption.

I have to keep Blue tongued lizards away from my strawbs - they eat them
whole otherwise. It's a wonder any of us get produce given all the wildlife
we ahve to keep from eating our crops.

Omelet[_4_] 04-11-2008 03:28 AM

How raised is raised

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

It's a wonder any of us get produce given all the wildlife
we ahve to keep from eating our crops.

Why do you think so few crops in the stores are "organic"?

SteveB[_6_] 04-11-2008 04:19 AM

How raised is raised

[...]

Dang, I would have never thought of that. I am sure I can get some locally
from ranchers, and perhaps get some plastic ones that are either damaged or
old. We have a local AM radio program called Tradio, and you can call in
for free.

Right now, I'm looking for an Aermotor windmill to power my backyard
waterfall collection.

Steve

SteveB[_6_] 04-11-2008 04:21 AM

How raised is raised

[...]

I have a Singer walking foot industrial sewing machine, and I'll be using it
this year to make some shadecloth covers for parts of the garden as well as
decorative canvas awnings.

Steve

SteveB[_6_] 04-11-2008 04:23 AM

How raised is raised

"Val" wrote in message

[...]

I got an L1 crush fracture July 4th when my ATV rolled on me. A month
later, I tore a rib loose. I'm going to be doing some gardening basically
standing up from now on. Will get the local strong teens and some church
people to help me build these.

Steve

Sheldon[_1_] 04-11-2008 02:38 PM

How raised is raised

Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) �I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Sheldon[_1_] 04-11-2008 04:06 PM

How raised is raised

"SteveB" wrote:
We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. �

I assume you mean a vegetable garden.

For tilling you'll still need to get up into the bed.

Is it practical
to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two sufficient? �

I think a foot or two is more practical, especially if you want more
than a teensy vegetable garden.

The general formula in how-to books is to construct raised beds so
that they are no higher and wider than you can comfortably reach to
the center from each side... for most folks 24" X 30" high and 4' wide
works well... if you make them sized so you need to do much stretching
then you've defeated your purpose... with raised beds less is more.
Keep in mind that many plants grow taller than you can reach were they
planted at ground level, planted up in a raised bed you will need to
climb into the bed... I think you'll be spending a lot of time/energy
climbing in and out of raised beds

I honestly don't see the benefit to raised beds unless all you want is
one or maybe two very small gardens as a fancy schmancy landscape
feature but I don't think they are practical. There really isn't much
bending with gardening anyways except for weeding. Weed block cloth
takes care of that easily and costs far less than bed construction.
And for harvesting low growing crops I find sitting on a small stool
works fine, I have an assortment; one of those reversable kneeling-
siting benches, a contractor bucket with swivel seat, a cheap
Rubbermaid plastic step stool, and a few ordinary foam type cheapo
kneeling cushions. I prefer to get in there with my plants and I
don't like having to crowd plants because of limited space.

I would
think that whatever you made the raised bed from would rot from water and
gook within a few years. �And then, if you use cinderblock or cement, you're
talking high cost and a lot of skilled labor.

Treated lumber works well and lasts many years, square fence posts are
perfect... design your bed to accomodate standard length lumber, ie.
make your bed 4' X 8", not 5' X 9'. I wouldn't suggest masonary if
you live where the ground freezes, it will heave and crack. Also
before you begin decide if you will need your bed fenced to keep
critters out, if so regulation-type raised beds may not be what you
want because any fence that keeps critters out will keep you out too.
For my 50' X 50' vegetable garden I used real RR ties laid flat on the
ground, even though used I'm sure they will outlast me. The ties
really just delineate the garden, keeps the amended soil in and the
yard soil out, keeps outside weeds from encroaching and gives me a
solid base for attaching a sturdy deer fence, and a gate for me...
also gives me an inside walkway around the entire perimeter.

Before you get too involved and begin buying construction materials
give this raised bed idea a lot of consideration and reconsideration.

I used plain old fashioned RR ties:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2wp6ukz.jpg

My next door neighbor is a little fancier:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2dvsvvc.jpg

len gardener 04-11-2008 07:03 PM

How raised is raised

g'day steve,

why till at all if you are going to do raised beds?

you can make them as high as you like almost, maybe for you around 2'
to 3' tall depending on those who are going to use them.

keep the beds to about 3' wide.

we have pic's on how we do our beds on our site they may give you some
ideas?

corrugated roofing makes for good sides not sure what roofing you have
over there but any metal shet roofing might do, but you could use any
materila you may get locally look in the demolition yards maybe? the
beds probably aren't going to be cheap to set up due to the height you
want but once done that is it then. the corrugated stuff is popular
over here seems to last quiet a while.

the ones here are all premade beds just sit them on the ground and
fill them, but for me i'd prefer loose sheets and galvanised star
pickets, so if a sheet did corrode out then it would be easier to
eitehr replace or fit another sheet over it.

blocks will cost because you need to lay a foundation first so they
don't fall over.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:43:16 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Sheldon[_1_] 04-11-2008 08:27 PM

How raised is raised

len gardener wrote:
g'day steve,

why till at all if you are going to do raised beds?

I wouldn't call yours raised beds, they're more like largish window
boxes, flower pots if you will, filled with what's essentially potting
mix.

Most folks who construct raised beds on top of real topsoil and fill
with real topsoil till twice a year; fall and spring. Soil compacts
and needs to be aerated and how else to amend nutrient depleted soil
but to blend in fresh composted organic matter. I know that there are
many lazy methods to revitaliz depleted soil, like spraying liquid
fertilizers or sprinkling fertilizer pellets, but that doesn't make
soil very much more productive than had nothing been done... perhaps
with potting mix that method is better than nothing. Anyway it's no
big deal to rototill a raised bed, with soil that's already been
broken up it shouldn't take more than ten minutes each.

corrugated roofing makes for good sides
http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Nothing wrong with corrugated metal sides where you live but what you
built won't work where winters are severe, the ground will freeze,
heave that corrugated out of the ground and buckle that tin so much
that come spring it will need to be hauled to the dump. It's
important to realize that in gardening and construction what works
well in one climate probably won't work at all in another.

Omelet[_4_] 04-11-2008 09:18 PM

How raised is raised

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Sheldon[_1_] 04-11-2008 10:17 PM

How raised is raised

On Nov 4, 4:18�pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. �I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect
plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze
where the ground freezes solid.

SteveB[_6_] 05-11-2008 05:26 AM

How raised is raised

wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Thank you for another fine idea. I am going to pick up some 22 ga.
corrugated metal tomorrow from a local Fabral plant. I can get all the
scraps I want. Tomorrow, I will be picking up 8' lengths for a lean to
shade. But I can have them trim them to most any length, and a bunch cut to
length would be mighty handy.

Thanks again.

Steve

Dioclese 05-11-2008 12:15 PM

How raised is raised

"Sheldon" wrote in message
On Nov 4, 4:18?pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. ?I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect
plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze
where the ground freezes solid.

----------------------

Another case of geographical location specific advice. Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Sheldon[_1_] 05-11-2008 04:54 PM

How raised is raised

"Dioclese" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

On Nov 4, 4:18?pm, Omelet wrote:

In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks
high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) ?I like them

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.

Wanna bet?

Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. ?I'll sometimes
tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get
freeze warnings.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect
plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze
where the ground freezes solid.

----------------------

Another case of geographical location specific advice. �Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

I happen to know Omelet's location and climate but it's up to her to
post any particulars.

In a gardening group particularly if anyone cares to have their
queries taken seriously they need to post their location, clearly and
with a degree of specificity so that folks can reply in a utile
manner... it's never the responsibility of posters to search for and
decipher code.

len gardener 05-11-2008 06:39 PM

How raised is raised

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:26:17 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

snipped

Thanks again.

Steve

keep us informed would like to see pics of the finished product.

maybe send e/mail for more chat?

FarmI 05-11-2008 08:11 PM

How raised is raised

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

mleblanca 06-11-2008 01:38 AM

How raised is raised

On Nov 5, 12:11 pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:
Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Hmmm, indeed.
You might brush up on the proper use of the semi-colon; you might
check
out run together sentences, too, Sheldon.
mle

Billy[_5_] 06-11-2008 01:58 AM

How raised is raised

In article
,

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Not overlooking the fact that this is a gardening forum and not on
English grammar. Posters often take great liberties with the English
language without chastisement from self important little twirps, such as
you. Let's take a look at your little work of art.

"Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly (The sentence needs
a period or a conjunction)(Properly should precede construct, as it is
an adverb and sentence a noun. Otherwise, you sound like someone's
affected maiden aunt.) You express yourself with baby talk, may as well
type goo goo gaa gaa. (This is an event that took place in the past,
which requires a past tense: expressed. What did you just do, if not
express yourself in baby talk, and this is in reference to what
element/s of Dioclese's post?) Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena (This is freakin' USENET you idiot. You're lucky not to get
flamed;O), ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the buffoon (You
didn't build much of a case for your opinion, Shelly. Actually, it looks
as if you have indicted yourself.) If you are going continue
participating with Newsgroups you will definitely benefit from a
remedial writing course. (We would all benefit from a writing course,
but of what benefit is it, in this particular news group,except,
perhaps, to keep certain self-important, "toffee-nosed" gits away from
you?)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars

SteveB[_6_] 06-11-2008 03:06 AM

How raised is raised

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common
here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Funny. I understood him perfectly. Does that make me as stupid as you
think he is?

Hmmmm. Lemmee see .......... yep, this is a gardening group, and not
alt.properEnglish ......

Steve

SteveB[_6_] 06-11-2008 03:07 AM

How raised is raised

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

[...]

Kudos to you, sir.

Steve

SteveB[_6_] 06-11-2008 03:11 AM

How raised is raised

wrote:

snipped

Thanks again.

Steve

keep us informed would like to see pics of the finished product.

maybe send e/mail for more chat?

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Went to the next town today to pick up some 8' x 3' x 22 ga. bare steel
corrugated drop remnants to make a lean to shade. These rust evenly on
purpose giving them the aged look within six months. I got 22 of them for
free, and tipped the man $40 to take his SO out to dinner. I told him I
would like some more, so I will return there once I have the dimensions, and
he will cut the remnants to length.

They even loaded them.

Steve

FarmI 06-11-2008 08:10 AM

How raised is raised

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common
here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Funny. I understood him perfectly.

Now I'm confused.

'Him' meaning Sheldon or 'him' being Dioclese?

And are you addressing Sheldon or Farm1?

Does that make me as stupid as you
think he is?

Everyone thinks Sheldon is slightly doolal. Dunno about Dioclese, but given
s/he is posting on usent then s/he has got to be suspect too.

Hmmmm. Lemmee see .......... yep, this is a gardening group, and not
alt.properEnglish ......

Yebbut my petunias use more proper English than many
posters....................

gonzo 06-11-2008 01:04 PM

How raised is raised

One material I haven't seen recommended is stabilized rammed earth -
not for the OP, but they could presumably hire out the labor. You'd
build a simple, low open box (just 4 walls). The advantage you get
here is the mass will help warm the bed earlier in spring, stabilize
temps in the fall.

Stabilized earth is a clay mix with 5-10 percent cement added to it,
compressed using simple form works (in Africa, two boards are held
together with rope). Pound a "lift" of material 6-8 inches until it
rings, repeat until desired height is reached.

Cement is bad, but you are not using a lot of it, and it makes it
possible to create the raised beds out of normal construction site
waste (subsoil). Nothing else needed, will stand up to rain/snow. If
you live in a freezing clime, you will need a base of gravel to
prevent frost heave.

This is a LOT more work than the other suggestions, but I was struck
watching a DVD of monks who tended a garden. Their garden had some
low, 1-wall beds that warmed early in the season, and they were able
to shovel snow off the beds for planting early crops. Really
remarkable simplicity.

Offered in the name of the radish spirit!

Bill[_13_] 06-11-2008 03:23 PM

How raised is raised

In article
,
gonzo wrote:

[...]

Taken as a grain of sand.

Below longish.

http://www.artofeurope.com/blake/bla3.htm

Bill feeling Blake like.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Dioclese 06-11-2008 03:26 PM

How raised is raised

"Sheldon" wrote in message

Am sorry to hear of your low comprehension level regarding sentences not
constructed to your specifications. Perhaps, if you were genuinely
interested in the attempt at communication (purpose), someone else with
better sentence construction could pipe in with such a translation. But,
its doubtful from where I sit that you are truly interested in that...

I did succeed in the communication as per your subsequent weak reply to the
essence (commnication substance). That was buried at the bottom of your
previous reply. "I happen to know Omelet's location and climate but it's up
to her to post any particulars." Again, read my previous reply. If you
don't understand it, maybe someone can translate.

Pointing out grammatical and spelling errors is quite common when the
replier was placed in a position that he/she may be incorrect, and may want
to respond in a hateful manner as a result.. So, guess I'll overlook the
majority of your response. Have a nice day.

len gardener 07-11-2008 07:07 PM

How raised is raised

g;day steve,

our plan is to use corrugated to raise our beds even more as we get
older, probably initially we will get the lengths cut into 1/2 width,
and use 6' galvanised star pickets as supports these pickets then can
be used to support tomato's or trellises for beans etc.,.

for us those ready made frames mentioned in a link in another post are
too expensive.

Sheldon[_1_] 08-11-2008 12:44 AM

How raised is raised

len gardener wrote:

our plan is to use corrugated to raise our beds
even more as we get older.

You can do that because you live in a semi tropical climate. But
thin sheet metal cannot endure the heaving of freezing earth.

SteveB[_6_] 08-11-2008 01:56 AM

How raised is raised

"len gardener" wrote in message
g;day steve,

our plan is to use corrugated to raise our beds even more as we get
older, probably initially we will get the lengths cut into 1/2 width,
and use 6' galvanised star pickets as supports these pickets then can
be used to support tomato's or trellises for beans etc.,.

for us those ready made frames mentioned in a link in another post are
too expensive.

After unloading the sheets for my shade cover, I have decided that it will
do just fine to get about 3' (1 meter in your town) lengths, and then bury
them about a foot with dirt tamped around the bottom. 2 x 4 (sorry, don't
know the metric for that) tops to protect from the sharp edges, and some
brackets to hold the wood together. Easy, cheap, and fast. If they rust
out, I'll just do them again, or maybe even do a double layer to start.

Steve

len gardener 08-11-2008 06:25 PM

How raised is raised

steve,

for the top edge so no body gets cut you could rune some cheap 1/2" or
3/4" garden hose around and tied with cable ties the hose needs to be
cut along the length so it will fit over the edge of the metal.

Omelet[_4_] 09-11-2008 02:41 AM

How raised is raised

In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

"len gardener" wrote in message
steve,

for the top edge so no body gets cut you could rune some cheap 1/2" or
3/4" garden hose around and tied with cable ties the hose needs to be
cut along the length so it will fit over the edge of the metal.

I have worse luck with splitting hose than anything else. And I take
Coumadin, so I avoid sharp things when I can.

Steve

Have someone do it for you.
You can also get cable covers from radio shack that are essentially the
same thing. I had to put them over electrical cords in my house to keep
the cockatoo from chewing them, until I built her her aviary. ;-)