Old 16-03-2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone used the new LED grow lights?

On Mar 14, 9:42*am, Gary Woods wrote:
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
I'm trying to get a head start on tomatoes and chiles. *I've heard
that incandescent lights, while not worthless, are not really adequate
to grow the seedlings for transplant. *The LED panels out there look
promising. *Comments?

By "incandescent," do you mean regular light bulbs? *Not very good spectrum
range or efficiency. *There are various gas-discharge/halide lamps that are
better. *And many of us use fluorescent lamps, which work well, especially
with solid-state ballasts fitted. *The LED fixtures are interesting, but
the claims don't seem realistic, and the prices are well beyond my amateur
status, not to mention living in genteel poverty.

CFL's might also be good. Might be interesting to see what spectrum
is best for growing and see which lights match closest.
Old 16-03-2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light
Old 18-03-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 16, 11:23*am, Frank wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light

I know that I'm a visitor here, and not to be rude, but I--and all
others with half a brain--know how to search Wikipedia. I was hoping
for expertise, not reference librarianship of the lowest order. I
will post back here with my experience. I plan to use the LED panel I
ordered to grow edible Solanaceaes. I've never had luck with eggplant
outdoors, and out of season decent tomatoes would make me very happy.

Next year, if this turns out nicely, I might expand my operation to
help provide seedlings to the other members of our city's new
community garden. I'm of the opinion that if one has the means,
failing to grow a Victory Garden--at least for USA residents--is
unpatriotic.

Again, Frank, I didn't mean to be an a$$hole. I had searched this NG,
plus the web, plus--of course--Wikipedia.

--Bryan
Old 18-03-2009, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:23*am, Frank wrote:
[...]

You were supposed to say, "Thank you, Frank, for offering your time to a
total stranger." Your posturing just wastes more time.
--

Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1
Old 18-03-2009, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 17, 8:26*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:23*am, Frank wrote:
[...]

It is an insult to a person's intelligence to post a simple Wikipedia
search, which in 2009, any moron knows how to do.
--

Billy

--Bryan

Old 18-03-2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:26*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:23*am, Frank wrote:
[...]

Impolite and arrogant, what a lovely combination. You go boy.

Old 26-03-2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You were supposed to say, "Thank you, Frank, for offering your time to a
total stranger." Your posturing just wastes more time.

Actually his post posed an interesting question about LCD lights as a
light source for growing plants indoors.
His comments pointed out an all too common response to questions on
usenet - "Google It" ((Wiki-It)
Except for obvious cases of "do my homework for me" I like to assume
that the poster has done the basic research and is looking for personal
experiences by those who have a similar problem.

Since his expertise exceeds mine(and yours) I did not respond to his
question. It is unfortunate you didn't do the same.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered User

There are several gas discharge lamps better. And many use fluorescent lamps, it works well, especially solid, with ballast. LED light is very interesting, but does not seem practical requirements, and the price far beyond amateur status.
__________________
light grow
Old 29-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User

It is reality that there are so me negative affects of this on some plants.But if someone get the advice from the experts in this field, they can say better than me.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
I'm trying to get a head start on tomatoes and chiles. I've heard
that incandescent lights, while not worthless, are not really adequate
to grow the seedlings for transplant. The LED panels out there look
promising. Comments?

By "incandescent," do you mean regular light bulbs? Not very good spectrum
range or efficiency. There are various gas-discharge/halide lamps that are
better. And many of us use fluorescent lamps, which work well, especially
with solid-state ballasts fitted. The LED fixtures are interesting, but
the claims don't seem realistic, and the prices are well beyond my amateur
status, not to mention living in genteel poverty.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

CFL's might also be good. Might be interesting to see what spectrum
is best for growing and see which lights match closest.

435 nm and 680 nm

Gunner

Old 31-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
I'm trying to get a head start on tomatoes and chiles. *I've heard
that incandescent lights, while not worthless, are not really adequate
to grow the seedlings for transplant. *The LED panels out there look
promising. *Comments?

By "incandescent," do you mean regular light bulbs? *Not very good spectrum
range or efficiency. *There are various gas-discharge/halide lamps that are
better. *And many of us use fluorescent lamps, which work well, especially
with solid-state ballasts fitted. *The LED fixtures are interesting, but
the claims don't seem realistic, and the prices are well beyond my amateur
status, not to mention living in genteel poverty.

CFL's might also be good. Might be interesting to see what spectrum
is best for growing and see which lights match closest.
hi forget cfl. led grow lights are far better. there are some garden centre,s out there that have converted to led. the lights they used before the led grow lights were hps. i bet there electric bill is half with the led grow light. the hps bulb are only good for 2 crops. but the led grow light is good for 50.000 hours. led grow lights cost more but are worth every penny. i got my led grow light from a uk company that makes them to your requirements or you can have there standard lights. there a very good company that i would recomend to anyone.

LED lights janet Orchids 7 08-04-2011 10:45 PM
Coast LED Lenser LL7590 Write Light Gift Boxed White LED pen light flashlight and Pen [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 07:39 AM
LED lights [email protected] Gardening 7 13-04-2007 10:51 AM
Compact Fluorescent and LED grow lights charles VanDyke Orchids 19 12-11-2005 01:00 AM
Commercial LED Plant Lights charles VanDyke Orchids 4 11-11-2005 06:34 PM