Old 12-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered User

Default apricots

Hi, this is my first post so please go easy on me.
does anyone have any knowledge about Apricots. my apricot tree is in leaf and looking healthy when can i expect to see some blossom???, or is it not going to flower this year, it is a second year tree.
thanks for any information.
Chris Thompson
Old 13-04-2009, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Chris Thompson wrote:
Hi, this is my first post so please go easy on me.
does anyone have any knowledge about Apricots. my apricot tree is in
leaf and looking healthy when can i expect to see some blossom???, or
is it not going to flower this year, it is a second year tree.
thanks for any information.
Chris Thompson

Apricots are among the earliest of the fruit trees to blossom out.
Timing depends a lot on your climate zone. Here in zone 5, Midwest,
the flower buds on my Moorpark Apricot are now starting to swell. We
are experiencing typical cold April here, so I am hoping they will
not come out now, and get hit by a frost. If your Apricot is
on standard rootstock, it will take a few years to start up. On
a dwarfing rootstock, you may get a few blossoms sooner, after a
couple of years, depending on the vigor of your variety and rootstock.
Be patient. The typical problem with Apricots are the blossoms coming
out too soon, and getting clobbered by a late frost. It happens a
lot, here in the Midwest part of the country.

Sherwin
Old 14-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwin dubren View Post
Chris Thompson wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sherwin, i had an idea that i would have to waite a few years before i got any Apricots, maybe next year hopefully .
all the best Chris.
ps i live in England in a County called Cornwall

Grafting Apricots WillA Edible Gardening 10 03-03-2004 10:12 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in cold climates Sherwin Dubren Gardening 20 09-02-2004 06:42 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Apricots Andrew United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 04:09 PM
Ripening apricots Andrew United Kingdom 3 25-05-2003 11:20 AM