Old 18-04-2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ridding My Garden of Foxtail and Oxalis

I spent a huge amout of time ridding my landscape of these two irritants.

I sifted. I tilled. I weeded. I covered. I let the land lay farrow while it
cycled through and I repeated like a good shampooing.

I plant my newest purchases of heirloom tomatoes and peppers, water, and
watch. Almost like a bad Disney slow-motion movie on plant life, the entire
20' X 20' patch of garden sprouted tufts of oxalis and foxtails.

I realize that oxalis explodes it's seeds into a multi-foot pattern to keep
it going and have asked neighbors on the back and side to step up their lawn
treatments to contain said pest. Is there a way of completely romoving
either of these weeds short of salting the land (to which they are able to
overcome, given the evidence in other parts of my yards)?

The Ranger

Old 18-04-2009, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article dth,
"The Ranger" wrote:

I spent a huge amout of time ridding my landscape of these two irritants.

I sifted. I tilled. I weeded. I covered. I let the land lay farrow while it
cycled through and I repeated like a good shampooing.

I plant my newest purchases of heirloom tomatoes and peppers, water, and
watch. Almost like a bad Disney slow-motion movie on plant life, the entire
20' X 20' patch of garden sprouted tufts of oxalis and foxtails.

I realize that oxalis explodes it's seeds into a multi-foot pattern to keep
it going and have asked neighbors on the back and side to step up their lawn
treatments to contain said pest. Is there a way of completely romoving
either of these weeds short of salting the land (to which they are able to
overcome, given the evidence in other parts of my yards)?

The Ranger

Best time to weed is before your weeds emerge. Consider the below URL
if your garden can get by by hand.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...earch&search=c
oliniar%2bhoe&item=9093&category=292&subcategory=6 32

Bill PS keep it sharp.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 19-04-2009, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Ranger" wrote in message \
I plant my newest purchases of heirloom tomatoes and peppers, water, and
watch. Almost like a bad Disney slow-motion movie on plant life, the
entire 20' X 20' patch of garden sprouted tufts of oxalis and foxtails.

MULCH! Before you set out plants, always wet the ground well, lay some
cardboard down, wet that too, and cover it with whatever organic stuff you
have handy. If you can do this in the fall, it will be lovely by spring,
but even if you don't want to wait you can poke holes in the cardboard and
set your plants down in there right away. Cover everything with a thick
layer of mulch. The weeds will have a really hard time trying to get out.

Planting a low cover crop around the tomatoes can help keep weeds at bay
too. Buckwheat grows quickly and smothers weeds. Or sprinkle some basil
seeds (or put small seedlings) around the tomato plants--they will help keep
weeds down AND give you an herbal accent when you pick the tomatoes.

Weeds cover the ground to protect it. Nature doesn't know the difference
between a desirable ground cover and an undesirable one. When the earth is
tilled and broken and left naked and vulnerable, weeds step in to cover it
to protect it. If you can protect the ground in some other way (by not
tilling and using mulch instead, or by planting something more desirable
there), the weeds won't be so necessary.
--S.

Old 19-04-2009, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:18:30 -0500, phorbin
wrote:

In article dth,
says...

I realize that oxalis explodes it's seeds into a multi-foot pattern to keep
it going and have asked neighbors on the back and side to step up their lawn
treatments to contain said pest. Is there a way of completely romoving
either of these weeds short of salting the land (to which they are able to
overcome, given the evidence in other parts of my yards)?

The seeds from some plants have an indefinite dormancy period and can
linger in the soil for years. I don't know if wood sorrel is one of
those but if it is, there's nothing for it but to keep on weeding.

I personally like wood sorrel - the leaves are tasty and the plant
pretty but if it's taken over a spot you need for other purposes, I
too would weed and within a couple of years of weeding before it goes
to seed you'll probably be pleased with the results.

Kate

Old 19-04-2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:18:30 -0500, phorbin
wrote:

In article dth,
says...

[...]

Wood Sorrel

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....lis+acetosella

Known Hazards
The leaves contain oxalic acid, which gives them their sharp flavour.
Perfectly all right in small quantities, the leaves should not be eaten
in large amounts since oxalic acid can bind up the body's supply of
calcium leading to nutritional deficiency. The quantity of oxalic acid
will be reduced if the leaves are cooked. People with a tendency to
rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones or hyperacidity should take
especial caution if including this plant in their diet since it can
aggravate their condition.

Edible Uses
Edible Parts: Flowers; Leaves.
Edible Uses: Curdling agent.
Leaves - raw or cooked[2, 7, 12, 37]. A delicious lemony flavour, the
leaves make a refreshing, thirst-quenching munch and are also added to
salads, soups, sauces etc[183]. This leaf should be used in
moderation[4, 5, 9, 76], see the notes above on toxicity. Flowers - raw.
A decorative addition to salads[K]. The dried plant can be used as a
curdling agent for plant milks[66].

Medicinal Uses

Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.

Anodyne; Antiscorbutic; Astringent; Diuretic; Emmenagogue; Expectorant;
Febrifuge; Irritant; Stomachic.

The fresh or dried leaves are anodyne, antiscorbutic, astringent,
diuretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, irritant and stomachic[4,
7, 9, 21]. A decoction is used in the treatment of fevers, both to
quench the thirst and allay the fever[4]. Externally, the leaves are
crushed and applied locally to dispel boils and abscesses, they also
have an astringent affect on wounds[7]. When used internally, some
caution is advised due to the oxalic acid content of the leaves[4], the
plant is contra-indicated for people suffering from gastritis or a
calculus condition[7].
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 18, 8:51 am, "The Ranger" wrote:
I spent a huge amout of time ridding my landscape of these two irritants.

I sifted. I tilled. I weeded. I covered. I let the land lay farrow while it
cycled through and I repeated like a good shampooing.

I plant my newest purchases of heirloom tomatoes and peppers, water, and
watch. Almost like a bad Disney slow-motion movie on plant life, the entire
20' X 20' patch of garden sprouted tufts of oxalis and foxtails.

I realize that oxalis explodes it's seeds into a multi-foot pattern to keep
it going and have asked neighbors on the back and side to step up their lawn
treatments to contain said pest. Is there a way of completely romoving
either of these weeds short of salting the land (to which they are able to
overcome, given the evidence in other parts of my yards)?

The Ranger

I got rid off foxtail grass pretty easily by just watching carefully
and pulling it early on'
and never let it go to a head.
Which king of oxalis do you have? The wood sorrel/buttercup type we
used to call
Sourgrass and nibble on? (I hope it was the plant that gave the sour-
ness and not
something else) Or do you have the little low creeping one? If its
the creeping one
I think you will NEVER be rid of it. I am not.
Emilie
NorCal