Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Chives Going To Seed?

Hey, everybody, long time no write...

I've got some chives that seem to be blossoming. It is a sort of
spherical thingy on the tip, with a bundle of purple bumps. It
is only happening on a few of them.

Can anyone advise about how to get through the cycle to have some
viable seeds?

BTW, it is late springtime in this hemisphere, and the chives
were planted maybe two or three months ago. So they may be
reacting to the weather. I haven't cut/eaten any of them,
because of wanting them to get better established.

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:12:23 -0800, Coffee's For Closers
wrote:

Hey, everybody, long time no write...

I've got some chives that seem to be blossoming. It is a sort of
spherical thingy on the tip, with a bundle of purple bumps. It
is only happening on a few of them.

Can anyone advise about how to get through the cycle to have some
viable seeds?

BTW, it is late springtime in this hemisphere, and the chives
were planted maybe two or three months ago. So they may be
reacting to the weather. I haven't cut/eaten any of them,
because of wanting them to get better established.

Thanks...

You don't have to do anything. They'll manage to produce viable seeds
all by themselves.
BTW, those mauve blossoms are quite edible, nice in salads.

Ross.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Coffee's For Closers" wrote in message
Hey, everybody, long time no write...

I've got some chives that seem to be blossoming. It is a sort of
spherical thingy on the tip, with a bundle of purple bumps. It
is only happening on a few of them.

Can anyone advise about how to get through the cycle to have some
viable seeds?

BTW, it is late springtime in this hemisphere, and the chives
were planted maybe two or three months ago. So they may be
reacting to the weather. I haven't cut/eaten any of them,
because of wanting them to get better established.

Normal chives or garlic chives? Garlic chives produce masses of viable seed
and you'll find baby chives coming up near the parent plant next year.

With normal chives, I've never managed to get them to produce viable seed
and just increase them by dividing every few years.

You don't have to do anything to get them through the flowering stage - they
do that for themselves.