Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Master Gardener

Is anyone out there a Master Gardener through their Department of Ag?
I am planning to take the class and become one and was wondering if
anyone has done this. Just looking for any insight. Thanks

MJ
Old 05-01-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

Is anyone out there a Master Gardener through their Department of Ag?
I am planning to take the class and become one and was wondering if
anyone has done this. Just looking for any insight. Thanks

MJ

Yes! And yes, I still feel it was worth taking the class. Unlike books
and on line information which is helpful. You will find out what the
local resources are, what works and what does not work in your local
community. If you stay with the MG association you will keep learning
new things.

The negatives or positives (depending on your thinking) is the
volunteering time to your community and ... your wallet size.

In my opinion, Each week there should be a different instructor covering
the different topics. The views on gardening are diverse and
interesting. Not every topic or teacher appeals to the same person.
However, I know some communities are just to small for this too occur.

If you take the class...
ASK QUESTIONS!!! PICK THIER BRAINS!!! GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH!!!
But, be not too disruptive

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 5, 12:03*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

I am sure areas are different but what kind of wallet drain are we
talking about. Apparently in my area they are in between instructors
so I really have gotten no specifics. Please give me an idea of $ I
may be in for. Thanks
MJ
Old 05-01-2010, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 5, 12:03*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

You said you were planning on taking a class from the Dept. of Ag. Why
not pick up the phone, and call them, or go on line?
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 5, 5:49*pm, Wildbilly wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Jan 5, 12:03 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...erts020709.htm

Wow thanks that was really helpful

Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 5, 12:03*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

My class cost $250 for a ten week class. It came with an excellent
really large, well written 1000+ page book in binder form that was
loaded with local information on gardening. My instructors were true
professionals with University Degrees, that owns/runs large local
nurseries, farms, people that writes articles in the local newspapers
and magazines. My county has a population around 200,000 people.

Your area may be different in cost, information and instructors. Also
classes in my area start tomorrow Jan 6. They only offer the class once
per year in my area. The classes typically fill up in my area one month
before the class starts. You may have missed the boat already.

If you continue with the MG association the added cost is up to you.
They offer several garden tours $50+ depending on tour in and around the
state. Summer weekend classes at the State Universities on dozens on
specific plant subjects. Other side courses on beekeeping and food
preserving may also be offered at additional cost.

Like Billy said, the prices for the classes and times are online.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 5, 9:11*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*Wildbilly wrote: