Old 21-03-2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seed Potato Parts

I planted my potatoes yesterday; I'm in Maryland a bit north of
Baltimore. While I was siutting at the kitchen table, cutting the seed
potatoes into segments where appropriate, I wondered if there was a
name for the part of a seed potato you put into the ground. That is,
if I cut a large seed potato into two parts for planting, do I have
two sets or plugs or potatoettes? Or do I just end up with two seed
potatoes?

Which led to my next question. I'm only planting 20 pounds so I can
spend a little while at the kitchen table cutting them into segments
for the most efficient planting. What about the guy who's planting 100
acres of potatoes? I can't imagine him and his wife and the kids
carving up seed potatoes night after night. I suppose that commercial
growers use rather small potatoes for seed, many a maximum diameter of
an inch or so, and plant them mechanically. Or maybe they just cut a
whole bunch of seed potatoes mechanically, figuring that statistically
enough will end up with eyes that they'll grow when planted. Anyone
know?

Fortunately, I finished my task before I came up with any more wierd
potato questions.

Paul
Old 21-03-2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

We used to cut our seed potatoes and let them heal or scarify . May be
using the wrong word.

Here is a video on one way.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-plant-potatoes-8316/view/

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending
Old 21-03-2010, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:35:59 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

[...]

Your last sentence is correct, at least it was way back when.
Between 1947 and '50, I worked week-ends and after school for a farmer
who grew many hundreds of acres of potatoes. One of my jobs in the
spring was cutting seed potatoes but it wasn't by hand per se. My job
was putting potatoes in a series of about 6 cups in a row across on an
endless chain conveyor belt. The chain would move forward, stop, a row
of + shaped knives would drop and cut each potato into four pieces
then the chain would move forward again until the next set of cups
would stop under the knives. At the speed you had to work to keep the
cups filled, there was no consideration given to getting eyes in each
piece.
Today, many large growers employ more high-tech methods such as high
pressure water jets or lasers for cutting seed potatoes.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 22-03-2010, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

80º 13' 29.46" West- Hide quoted text -

Very interesting, thanks for posting. So it appears that enough
segments end up with eyes to make this a viable method.

Did you have a specific word to describe the segments after cutting?

Paul
Old 22-03-2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

It was a long time ago but I seem to remember them only being refereed
to as 'seed pieces'.

Old 26-03-2010, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in news:f5ueq5d7j88e1jama7pvr8uqvr61umq3q6@
4ax.com:

[...]

Maybe today they would be called 'wedges'
Old 28-03-2010, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

In the seed catalogs I see them called sets. -Doug
Old 30-03-2010, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug wrote in
net:

wrote:

[...]

As in badger sets?
The OP asked about cutting the potatoes into peices not what the potato
is called as a whole tuber DUH???
Old 30-03-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Marq wrote:

Doug wrote in
net:

http://gurneys.com/category.asp?c=80&bhcd2=1269959433

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending
You must know something about what you are searching for before
you query google.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://gurneys.com/category.asp?c=80&bhcd2=1269959433

Your point is what?

Marq