Old 29-03-2010, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 2009 garden photos

http://tomshomeplace.com/Janis-garden-2009.html
We just have a small garden for the 2 of us, but it produces above
average yields You will notice we use wheat straw for top mulch &
there is a reason. We could not control white flies until Walter
Reeves suggested the wheat straw. The straw is home to hundreds of
spiders that eat every white fly before they have wings!!

For those of you that have never heard of Walter Reeves, he is retired
from the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service. His
website is extensive!!
http://walterreeves.com/

Old 29-03-2010, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

http://tomshomeplace.com/Janis-garden-2009.html
We just have a small garden for the 2 of us, but it produces above
average yields You will notice we use wheat straw for top mulch &
there is a reason. We could not control white flies until Walter
Reeves suggested the wheat straw. The straw is home to hundreds of
spiders that eat every white fly before they have wings!!

For those of you that have never heard of Walter Reeves, he is retired
from the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service. His
website is extensive!!
http://walterreeves.com/

I have the same results with alfalfa. When I wet it down, there is a
mass exodus of spiders.

Old 30-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Registered User

Smile

Tom J[_2_];881707']http://tomshomeplace.com/Janis-garden-2009.html
We just have a small garden for the 2 of us, but it produces above
average yields You will notice we use wheat straw for top mulch &
there is a reason. We could not control white flies until Walter
Reeves suggested the wheat straw. The straw is home to hundreds of
spiders that eat every white fly before they have wings!!

For those of you that have never heard of Walter Reeves, he is retired
from the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service. His
website is extensive!!
http://walterreeves.com/

thanks so much for showing us your lovely garden area . u sure have
a lot of stuff for a small area and very well used as well.
cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 30-03-2010, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Tom J" wrote in message
http://tomshomeplace.com/Janis-garden-2009.html

Nice job in creating something that is functional as well as very
attractive!
--S.

Old 30-03-2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

http://tomshomeplace.com/Janis-garden-2009.html
We just have a small garden for the 2 of us, but it produces above
average yields You will notice we use wheat straw for top mulch &
there is a reason. We could not control white flies until Walter
Reeves suggested the wheat straw. The straw is home to hundreds of
spiders that eat every white fly before they have wings!!

I have the same results with alfalfa. When I wet it down, there is a
mass exodus of spiders.

When I had bindweed problems, its only redeeming quality was the hundreds of
spiders it housed. If I ever stepped in the middle of a patch I could
expect at least a half a dozen spiders crawling up my leg! Now I no longer
have bindweed, but I like to believe the spiders are living under my dead
grass mulch.
--S.