Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardening

Well the first of my lettuce is in, but I had to stand in the rain to do
it. Weird day. The sun would come out, and I would go out, and every
time I went out, it would start to rain again. I planted some of my beet
starts as well. They are about 3 times the size of the volunteers that
are coming up from last falls broadcasting of seeds. I have about a
dozen more to plant, but I don't know where. The tomatoes will go in as
soon as I get a hoop house up, or mid May arrives, whichever comes
first. Leeks, onions, and shallots are popping up in the root garden,
where I also planted the lettuce. The borage is alive, as is the
bergamot, and the echinacea.

Got a cold storm comin' in tomorrow evening. None of them fancy temps
like they got in Missouri or New Jersey. I got plants outside, and I
don't want them to freeze, so I'm constantly checking the weather
forecasts. One more week and I should be out of the woods. I'll still be
in a forest, but out of the woods, oh, never mind. Last few years
February and March have been mild, and April, like this year, has been
wet and wild.

The wisteria is about a week away from lookin' really good. The newly
planted potatoes aren't showing any sign of life, but the volunteers
from last year are up and doin' fine. The oregano is filling out, and
the thyme is greening up. The chives are back, but the free range
parsley has disappeared. Fortunately, the potted parsley is doing fine.
The sorrel is an evergreen, it seems, just waiting for the potatoes.

I'll be potting up the last of my tomatoes tomorrow, the Hawaiian
Pineapple, Glacier, and the Caspian Pink. That will give me 12 different
kinds of tomatoes out of 17 plants, if the Yellow Pear volunteers again.
(2)Gold Medal, (2)Striped (Old) German, Koralic, (2)Marmand,
(2)Brandywine, Blondkopfchen, Green Zebra, Hawiian Pineapple, Stupice,
Caspian Pink, Glacier, Yellow Pear
I love smelling the tomatoes. They smell like summer.