Old 25-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default concrete block farming/gardening; pallet farming/gardening; asphalt roofshingles mulch

I have trouble with cucumbers and watermelon in the garden because they
love to spread out and my mower is inaccessible to large plots of land
and the grass and weeds get out of control. So I found a solution. I put
the plants into a concrete block hole that is placed near a low-lying
wood pile and train the plants to climb on the woodpile. That way there
is no mowing problem. However, this year I need more space. And so what
I thought of doing is using those unused wood pallets that I keep
saving.

So I will take a bright sunny spot in my backyard and have a long row of
concrete block where I plant the cucumbers and watermelon in a hole of
the block. Then alongside this long row of plants is a wood pallet. It
suppresses the grass and weeds during the summer and the watermelon are
trained to spread onto the wood pallets. If they outgrow the pallets I
can adjoin more pallets. This method will hinder the grass underneath
but not kill it and it should help the clover even more.

I am finding that the asphalt roof shingles make the most ideal mulch
ever. Because they do not blow with the wind. They add nutrients of
sulfur and acidity to my alkaline ph soil. They keep the moisture in
better than any other mulch. They are cheap and easy to apply. They are
visible in case people walking through or mowing. I got this idea after
seeing that many nursery plants now come in tar-paper pots.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies