Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Amazing !

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:23:44 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , tomnews2
says...

phorbin wrote:

If USENET failed completely, I'd look for some other text based
option
either using the internet or perhaps some variant of echomail.

I believe absolutely that the world needs international
communication
systems that are indestructible, unstoppable and very hard for any
government to regulate.

This has gotten really off topic, but it seems some don't have a clue
of how they got here. Do you really think USENET is about to fail? I
don't. Read on:

Consider for a moment the centralization of carriage in fewer servers as
more ISPs and institutions opt out of the expense of maintaining servers
and/or opt out of connecting to USENET completely forcing users to buy a
feed from superservers.

IMO this kind of creeping systemic failure will mean nothing until it
means something. The more centralization there is, the more vulnerable
the system.

And once it means something, where does that leave us?

I guess this was my point, regarding the death of the Usenet, not so
clearly explained (only a statement that I left to others to
interpret) as in several of your posts in this thread. This applies
not only to the Usenet, but to many systems and media, and in a
broader sense, society in general.

At what point do we go Bageant and basically abandon technology and
try to live life on a day to day basis...on a basic basis, as most of
the people on this planet live? What advantage do we gain, powerless
as we are and likely will remain, by having access to "news" and info
exchange that may be of questionable reliabilility?

Perhaps you would find the following of interest, perhaps not...Joe's
reply to the poster's questioning has meaning for me.

As an american and fed a diet of lies and revisionism, having my
worldview and personal viewpoint shaped by such for so many decades, I
don't know that it is possible for me to have an objective view of the
world. It is a struggle to even understand what must be unlearned
while learning.

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2010/03/hope-is-for.html

Charlie

"There are truths on this side of the Pyranees, which are falsehoods
on the other." ~ Blaise Pascal

Or just back to our roots and bio-diversity, even if it is contrived.
Monocultures and faux food are killing us, and support a predatory class.
http://www.environnement.ens.fr/pers.../mistake_jared
_diamond.pdf

An adjunct to how far we have strayed from the garden, presented by an
endocrinologist;
Sugar: the Bitter Truth
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717

Identify this Schomburgkia and win a colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible Mick Fournier Orchids 15 15-05-2003 03:20 AM
Congrats rec.ponds. Amazing newsgroup. Hats off. Theo van Daele Ponds 31 07-05-2003 10:44 AM
amazing recovery Ted Byers Orchids 2 21-03-2003 12:56 PM
Amazing shop Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 23-01-2003 02:25 AM
Caterpillars are amazing! Chris United Kingdom 7 08-12-2002 09:27 PM