Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Basil

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ool=EntrezSyst
em2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_Sing leItemSupl.Pubmed_Disco
very_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=p ubmed

J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Sep 24;56(18):8685-91. Epub 2008 Aug 20.
Effects of nitrogen fertilization on the phenolic composition and
antioxidant properties of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.).
Nguyen PM, Niemeyer ED.
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Southwestern University, 1001
East University Avenue, Georgetown, Texas 78626, USA.
Many herbs and spices have been shown to contain high levels of
polyphenolic compounds with potent antioxidant properties. In the
present study, we explore how nutrient availability, specifically
nitrogen fertilization, affects the production of polyphenolic compounds
in three cultivars (Dark Opal, Genovese, and Sweet Thai) of the culinary
herb, basil ( Ocimum basilicum L.). Nitrogen fertilization was found to
have a significant effect on total phenolic levels in Dark Opal ( p
0.001) and Genovese ( p 0.001) basil with statistically higher
phenolic contents observed when nutrient availability was limited at the
lowest (0.1 mM) applied nitrogen treatment. Similarly, basil treated at
the lowest nitrogen fertilization level generally contained
significantly higher rosmarinic ( p = 0.001) and caffeic ( p = 0.001)
acid concentrations than basil treated at other nitrogen levels.
Nitrogen fertilization also affected antioxidant activity ( p = 0.002)
with basil treated at the highest applied nitrogen level, 5.0 mM,
exhibiting lower antioxidant activity than all other nitrogen
treatments. The anthocyanin content of Dark Opal basil was not affected
by applied nitrogen level, but anthocyanin concentrations were
significantly impacted by growing season ( p = 0.001). Basil cultivar
was also determined to have a statistically significant effect on total
phenolic levels, rosmarinic and caffeic acid concentrations, and
antioxidant activities.
PMID: 18712879 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
----

Fish emulsion every 2 weeks, huh? Uh-huh.

And then there is last years discussion about chitosan. Anyone try it?

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0480804

Article
Effect of Chitosan on the Biological Properties of Sweet Basil (Ocimum
basilicum L.)

The effect of the treatment of chitosan at various concentrations
(0.01%, 0.05%, 0.1%, 0.5%, and 1%) upon sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum
L.) before seeding and transplanting was investigated in aspects of the
amount of phenolic and terpenic compounds, antioxidant activity, and
growth of the basil, as well as the phenylalanine ammonia lyase (PAL)
activity. The total amount of the phenolic and terpenic compounds
increased after the chitosan treatment. Especially, the amounts of
rosmarinic acid (RA) and eugenol increased 2.5 times and 2 times,
respectively, by 0.1% and 0.5% chitosan treatment. Due to the
significant induction of phenolic compounds, especially RA, the
corresponding antioxidant activity assayed by the DPPH*
(2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl) free radical scavenging test increased
at least 3.5-fold. Also, the activity of PAL, a key regulatory enzyme
for the phenylpropanoid pathway, increased 32 times by 0.5% chitosan
solution. Moreover, after the elicitor chitosan treatment, the growth in
terms of the weight and height of the sweet basil significantly
increased about 17% and 12%, respectively. Our study demonstrates that
an elicitor such as chitosan can effectively induce phytochemicals in
plants, which might be another alternative and effective means instead
of genetic modification.
----

Tempting
----

http://www.biocontrols.com/secure/shop/

Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I read this to suggest a plants growth provides a certain amount of
nutrients and acceleration of physical growth may not coincide with
nutrient growth. Small is beautiful comes to mind perhaps slow is too.
Musing.
Excess N and we get leggy plants perhaps the value of food goes down.
Wild gathering and nutrition comes to mind too. Not what we eat but
what we eat eats is worth pondering and does it pertain to all life
forms like vegetables and fungi ?

About 90 F right now las year April 26 of 91 was the years high.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I think your right. I've noticed that when I buy basil in the market, it
doesn't have the same intensity of flavor as when I grow it, which is
one of the reasons that I grow them. I think that this is true of all
commercial produce. Grown too quickly, they lack those essentials that
give them flavor. Home grown lettuce, has more flavor as well. Not that
it is just fresher, but has more schmeck.

From the first article I'll hold back on the nitrogen to the basil, but
I'm still intrigued by the chitosan.

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 1 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 09:11 AM