Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Irrigating Cucurbits

I've been hand watering the young plants, but I think it's time to
set up the drip irrigation for the year. The cucurbits look like they
are ready to take off and the temps are in the 80's.

It seems to me that every other plant is going to be more tolerant of
how it is watered than the cukes. At least that's my experience! I have
a Rain Drip single time/frequency timer.

I wonder if I should water early, or just before the day heats up,
perhaps 10 AM. Or should I get a timer that lets you set more than one
specific time per day and water some in the afternoon when they are
getting beat on. I'll be away for a while, so I'd like to program the
best guess in. The soil seems to have average drainage and moisture
retention. Not too heavy and with some humus to loosen it up a bit. Much
better than last year when it was denser. Down 10" there is still a lot
of red clay.

Jeff