Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Trying something different

We have 10 year established beds, heavily amended with organic matter, lava
sand, green sand, soft rock phosphate and organic fertilizer. After reading
how buying tomato starts which can be contaminated with blight, we ordered
seed for heirloom tomatoes from an Oregon supplier. We started the seeds in
flats in the portable greenhouse, and then moved them outside when it warmed
up, the transplanted them to the garden. We started the seeds in mid
February. Out of the greenhouse by mid to late March and into the garden.
Today, all of the transplants are over 5 feet tall with no indication of
blight and strong healthy fruit. I'll never buy starts again.
If anyone wants photos of these plants, I'll be happy to oblige.
Happily gardening in paradise....(zone 8) in North Texas...expecting 102
degrees by Saturday...

BTW...I won't bore you with the amazing asparagus beds...lol

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Thos" wrote:

[...]

The fungus can come on the seeds too, so only deal with reputable
sources, but even then, they may have suppliers, freakin' "global
economy". Your seeds could come from China, or worse, and you would
never know, until the recall.
--
- Billy

Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Thos" wrote in message
A typical response from the dumbass you are. Nothing changes.

Dam dude, who licked the red off of your candy?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote:

Dam dude, who licked the red off of your candy?

Kinda my thought too....

And since the blight spores are airborne, your neighbors can still infect
your garden... apparently, keeping rain off with a clear "roof" helps.

soapbox
All the more reason to save your own heirloom seeds; it's dead easy, and
you know what you've got, not to mention breeding your own "landrace" by
picking the best plants in your location each year.
/soapbox

Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I responded as I did as a result of his ignorant and assuming response. I
stated that I bought my seed from a source in Oregon. I suppose I should
have been more thorough. I bought my seed from a small family owned organic
garden and supply, that raises crops and transplants. They collect seed
from the plants they raise and sell the seed. His partial reply was.....

The fungus can come on the seeds too, so only deal with reputable
sources, but even then, they may have suppliers, freakin' "global
economy". Your seeds could come from China, or worse, and you would
never know, until the recall.

I bought my seeds from a reputable supplier. This isn't the first response
from his dumb ass I've dealt with. That is why I don't spend much time in
this group. I simply can't deal with him. Some people, such as myself,
have a life...some clearly don't. It was a typical response from him,
assuming something that wasn't the case and attempting to take it somewhere
is didn't need to go. Whatever....you folks muddle on...I'm outa here
lol...

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
news

"Thos" wrote in message
A typical response from the dumbass you are. Nothing changes.

Dam dude, who licked the red off of your candy?