Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered User

Default peppers and greenhouse

Hi folks.

This is my first year with growing my own veg - and I am learning slowly. As I eat a lot of peppers, I would like to stat growing my own BELL PEPPERS next year.

I've read quite a few stories about how difficult they are to grow - I'm guessing becuase the UK has short summers??

I am prepared to buy/build a greenhouse. Will it need to be heated for success ? Can anyone tell me how to go about this in order to maximize success - I cant seem to find a diffinitive guide on how best to grow them.

Regards
Joe.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Joe Shmoe wrote:

Hi folks.

This is my first year with growing my own veg - and I am learning
slowly. As I eat a lot of peppers, I would like to stat growing my own
BELL PEPPERS next year.

I've read quite a few stories about how difficult they are to grow - I'm
guessing becuase the UK has short summers??

I am prepared to buy/build a greenhouse. Will it need to be heated for
success ? Can anyone tell me how to go about this in order to maximize
success - I cant seem to find a diffinitive guide on how best to grow
them.

Regards
Joe.

You may want to investigate inexpensive hoop houses before spending a
lot on a green house.
http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html
Whether or no you would need a heater depends on location, and
agricultural practices.
Starting peppers inside under grow lights and then moving them to clear,
or black plastic covered beds can speed up the harvest date.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude