Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-07-2010, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Help! When are Apricots ripe?

For the first time since we planted it eight years ago our apricot
tree is fruiting. Here in Denver there are often late storms that
freeze out any blossoms, but not this year. We have fruit almost as
large as a tennis balls. When is it ready to pick? I've read that
commercial apricots are picked quite green and ripened off the tree
and this is why they are dry and mealy. Indeed, this is why I stopped
buying apricots decades ago. Ours are very juicy but still a bit hard.
The ones that fall on the ground are wonderful but mushy from
bruising.

Should I wait to let them get soft on the tree or pick the soft-ish
ones now and ripen them in a bag at room temperature? I don't know
what to do; we're going to have bushels and bushels...

sa

Grafting Apricots WillA Edible Gardening 10 03-03-2004 10:12 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in cold climates Sherwin Dubren Gardening 20 09-02-2004 06:42 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Apricots Andrew United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 04:09 PM
Ripening apricots Andrew United Kingdom 3 25-05-2003 11:20 AM