Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Droughts, Floods and Food

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/opinion/07krugman.html

Droughts, Floods and Food
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: February 6, 2011

We¹re in the midst of a global food crisis ‹ the second in three years.
World food prices hit a record in January, driven by huge increases in
the prices of wheat, corn, sugar and oils. These soaring prices have had
only a modest effect on U.S. inflation, which is still low by historical
standards, but they¹re having a brutal impact on the world¹s poor, who
spend much if not most of their income on basic foodstuffs.

So what¹s behind the price spike? American right-wingers (and the
Chinese) blame easy-money policies at the Federal Reserve, with at least
one commentator declaring that there is ³blood on Bernanke¹s hands.²
Meanwhile, President Nicolas Sarkozy of France blames speculators,
accusing them of ³extortion and pillaging.²

But the evidence tells a different, much more ominous story. While
several factors have contributed to soaring food prices, what really
stands out is the extent to which severe weather events have disrupted
agricultural production. And these severe weather events are exactly the
kind of thing we¹d expect to see as rising concentrations of greenhouse
gases change our climate ‹ which means that the current food price surge
may be just the beginning.

(cont.)
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html

Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

This will change in a few days. Deals with food as a commodity.

http://macromon.wordpress.com/

I don't know about you but they are selling one lemon around here for
over a dollar.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
[...]

Also add the increased amount of ethanol allowed in fuel for the US market.
Almost all regular gas has ethanol in it and the gas stations do not have
to state or advertise that ethanol is added to regular gas. People would
not not buy the gas otherwise because of performance issues.

So farmers will sell there crops to the ethanol industry over growing food
for the people. And we all know that it takes more oil to make one gallon
ethanol than one gallon of regular gas.

Now I will wait for FarmI's rebuttal and wanting web site verifications

Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Three for a $ here, and 2 limes for a dollar. The high cost of
margaritas;O)

I don't know about everyone else, but I mostly grow condiments, but not
staples like dry beans and potatoes. I probably should plant more
calories.

Certainly, many other counties will feel the bite of higher food prices
before we do, but it may spread very fast.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

"Buddy can you spare a lime" .....hope we do not see it.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Even Al Gore has said ethanol in fuel was a mistake and government
action is to increase it. Michelle Obama said, "Let them eat coal."
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You got a cite for that?

Hope you're not expecting me to defend Obama, if you are, you have a long wait coming.

Illinois ranks second in U.S. corn production with more than 1.5�illion
bushels produced annually.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/10/2011 7:06 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:
wrote:
[...]

For Go

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_787776.html

Obviously, I made up the one about Michelle but it's the kind of thing
you'd expect from her
Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default also

http://tinyurl.com/4fuyray
Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:
wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/opinion/07krugman.html

Droughts, Floods and Food
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: February 6, 2011

WeÂ1re in the midst of a global food crisis â¤1 the second in three
years.
World food prices hit a record in January, driven by huge increases in
the prices of wheat, corn, sugar and oils. These soaring prices have had
only a modest effect on U.S. inflation, which is still low by historical
standards, but theyÂ1re having a brutal impact on the worldÂ1s poor, who
spend much if not most of their income on basic foodstuffs.

So whatÂ1s behind the price spike? American right-wingers (and the
Chinese) blame easy-money policies at the Federal Reserve, with at least
one commentator declaring that there is Â3blood on BernankeÂ1s hands.Â2
Meanwhile, President Nicolas Sarkozy of France blames speculators,
accusing them of Â3extortion and pillaging.Â2

But the evidence tells a different, much more ominous story. While
several factors have contributed to soaring food prices, what really
stands out is the extent to which severe weather events have disrupted
agricultural production. And these severe weather events are exactly the
kind of thing weÂ1d expect to see as rising concentrations of greenhouse
gases change our climate â¤1 which means that the current food price
[...]

Illinois ranks second in U.S. corn production with more than 1.5ï¿1Ž2illion
bushels produced annually.

For Go

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...bsidies_n_7877
76.html

Obviously, I made up the one about Michelle but it's the kind of thing
you'd expect from her

YOU'RE reading the Huffington Post, and you paid a left-handed
compliment to Al Gore??? I think I'd better sit down. My eyes must be
playing tricks on me.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That should have been, "Illinois ranks second in U.S. corn production
with more than 1.5*billion bushels produced annually."

They and the Wall St. investment banks are his base.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/10/2011 7:38 PM, Billy wrote:

wrote:

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:
wrote:
[...]

No, when I googled it up, Huffington Post had it and I knew it was a
trusted source for you