Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Floods again! At home and peed off.

This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are seeing
more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not be us.

Baz
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2012 13:20, Baz wrote:
This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are seeing
more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not be us.

Baz

So sorry to hear this, Baz. It sounds terrifying to me. I can't
imagine how you're coping. I do hope your insurance company and council
are cooperating, but somehow I doubt it. I just hope you can stay
emotionally afloat.

I wouldn't try that betting thing, if I were you. I only bet on
certainties .. and there aren't many of those around :~/.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in
:

On 09/07/2012 13:20, Baz wrote:
This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are
seeing more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not
be us.

Baz

So sorry to hear this, Baz. It sounds terrifying to me. I can't
imagine how you're coping. I do hope your insurance company and
council are cooperating, but somehow I doubt it. I just hope you can
stay emotionally afloat.

I wouldn't try that betting thing, if I were you. I only bet on
certainties .. and there aren't many of those around :~/.

As it happens my insurance company is being very good about it all. Again.
I think it is sure that our policy price will go up.by %, but after all of
this I would expect so will inflation on top.
BTW it is not the council who are liable, it is the water authorities.

I will not ever bet again. Only the Grand National.

Baz
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:20:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are seeing
more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..

Oh you poor bugger, a bit of muddy wet carpet is a PITA but but blown
plaster a completely different kettle of fish. 600mm, I guess that means
the water got to the the electrics as well?

Glad that your insurers are playing ball nicely. Next years premium? Well
I guess it depends on how they view things, the weather has been a bit
freakish with these "months worth of rain in a day" events, no normally
scaled drainage system is going to cope with that volume of water. So if
they see these as freak events the premium shouldn't change much but if
they decide it's going to happen again and again... Most of the stories
you hear about uninsurable places are about properties built in flood
zones without any flood defences.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:20:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are seeing
more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not be us.

Baz

This is a lot worse than your last post indicated and I really feel
for you now. That you haven't even mentioned the garden this time is
significant as, to some extent, the garden flooding last time got as
much of your attention as the house.

If plaster is blowing to 600mm then you've got a long haul in front of
you as the walls will need to be dried out and probably replastered to
at least a meter above floor level. Then drying before redecoration.
I'm guessing your walls are plastered and not dry-lined..

Dave L has mentioned the electrics but I'm hoping that as you've got a
concrete slab ground floor (if you had wood over void you wouldn't be
back in yet after the last flood) your electrics are down the wall
from the ceiling void above which would hopefully just mean a drying
period and replacement of the socket fronts etc.

Keep us in the loop and remember that whilst we can't do anything
practical to help, we're thinking about you and your family and
sending emotional support across the internet airwaves.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 7:42*pm, Jake wrote:
[...]

Seems weird that even those who obviously have felt the negative
effects of global warming first hand, still dont seem to give a damn
about the causes of this, and appear to take propaganda issued by the
corporate media on the subject to be reflective of something akin to
the truth!

Worth bearing in mind that those who benefit from being able to
pollute and destroy our planet pretty much as they please, also own
and control the corporate media, so its just possible that corp media
propaganda relating to this might possibly be untrue............

In ten years time, the weather patterns will be far more disturbed
than they are currently, and the effects of global warming will be
irreversible. Will you all still believe corp media clap trap then I
wonder?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Corp Media {Was: Floods again! At home and peed off.}

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:56:42 -0700 (PDT), Steerpike wrote:

rant snippped

Will you all still believe corp media clap trap then I wonder?

I don't believe it now.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:42:37 +0100, Jake wrote:

Dave L has mentioned the electrics but I'm hoping that as you've got a
concrete slab ground floor (if you had wood over void you wouldn't be
back in yet after the last flood) your electrics are down the wall
from the ceiling void above which would hopefully just mean a drying
period and replacement of the socket fronts etc.

I think the insurance will insist on a rewire if the water has got to any
open ends of cable like in back boxes etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 21:00:54 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:42:37 +0100, Jake wrote:

Dave L has mentioned the electrics but I'm hoping that as you've got a
concrete slab ground floor (if you had wood over void you wouldn't be
back in yet after the last flood) your electrics are down the wall
from the ceiling void above which would hopefully just mean a drying
period and replacement of the socket fronts etc.

I think the insurance will insist on a rewire if the water has got to any
open ends of cable like in back boxes etc.

This would mean a complete ground floor strip out plus probably some
floor lifting upstairs and Baz would be living elsewhere for months.
However, I'm hoping (praying) that, from Baz's description, it's a
case of water soaking up the plaster rather than the flood level
reaching the electrics.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:18:16 GMT, Baz wrote:

Spider wrote in
:

On 09/07/2012 13:20, Baz wrote:
[...]

Baz. Commiserations from me too. That is a horrid thing to happen.

If the water authorities are responsible due to their action or
inaction I would hope your insurers will try to recover their costs
from them. If they can, then you should be able to claim damages for
inconvenience, loss of amenity etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
snipped
It is reprehensible to use someone's personal tragedy to forward your arguments. there is a time and a place for everything.
__________________

Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 10:58*pm, kay wrote:
Steerpike;963924 Wrote:

snipped

It is reprehensible to use someone's personal tragedy to forward your
arguments. there is a time and a place for everything.

--
kay

What rubbish. He's just linking cause and effect.
The point is it's quite likely to happen again and Baz needs to make
his house flood resistant.

The effect goes far beyond insurance, there is also property values
and saleability to tak einto account.

Baz may find he can't get insurance or can't afford it. In that event
he could find himself homeless if there was another flood.

Everybody needs to try to work out what could happen if there was what
we now think of as extreme weather in their area and what precautions
they can take to mitigate the effects. I have already done this to my
house.

The extreme could well become the norm.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 9:00*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:42:37 +0100, Jake wrote:
Dave L has mentioned the electrics but I'm hoping that as you've got a
concrete slab ground floor (if you had wood over void you wouldn't be
back in yet after the last flood) your electrics are down the wall
from the ceiling void above which would hopefully just mean a drying
period and replacement of the socket fronts etc.

I think the insurance will insist on a rewire if the water has got to any
open ends of cable like in back boxes etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

If you do re-wire, I would suggest that you have the wiring down the
walls to sockets at least a metre off the ground. This is what we have
here in a mill prone to flooding. Not yet this year thank goodness.

Jonathan
Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 10:58*pm, kay wrote:
Steerpike;963924 Wrote:

snipped

It is reprehensible to use someone's personal tragedy to forward your
arguments. there is a time and a place for everything.

--
kay

Sadly as no one seems very much interested in making any attempt to
address the issues surrounding global warming, things like flooding
are likely to become more and more common. This has nothing to do with
any sort of "argument" on my part but is cold hard fact, which is
supported by the first hand experience of anyone who actually notices
the increasingly strange weather patterns we have been having for the

Floods again! Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 40 09-07-2012 09:30 AM
Droughts, Floods and Food Billy[_10_] Edible Gardening 11 11-02-2011 12:55 PM
OT. Keswick floods Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 10-01-2005 10:00 AM
Garden that floods Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 10 01-04-2003 05:44 PM