Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered User

Default wire worm

how do I control wireworm in my veg plot
Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
BERTROSEPT wrote:

how do I control wireworm in my veg plot

I hope you know how to google "fireworm". You have the best minds of
British, American, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealander gardeners to
pick.
--

Treatments
Crush any wireworms that are found, though they are quite resilient.

Cultivating the soil exposes them to birds.

Lift crops from infested ground as soon as they mature to avoid damage.
Traps can be made using chunks of potato buried in the ground attached
to skewers for easy removal; hopefully the wireworms tunnel into the
potato which is then picked up and destroyed.

For a biological control the nematode Heterorhabditis megadis will
attack wireworms. It is temperature sensitive so can only be used when
the soil is at or above 12 C (54 F). The best time to apply is in August
or September when the wireworms are hatching. Application may have to be
repeated the following year due to the long lifecycle of the worms.
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/wireworm.htm

Good luck.

"The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always
optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look
forward to doing something better than they have ever done before."
- Vita Sackville-West
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.