Old 25-08-2011, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mortgage Lifter

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms. The
hybrids took over pretty quickly when introduced was no accident, they
are better in every way, but you have to pay for the seeds every year.

Old 25-08-2011, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"fsadfa" wrote in message

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms.

Names please, I know of none that are superior in flavor to my heirlooms.

Old 25-08-2011, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

fsadfa wrote:

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

May be, but when taste tests are done, "Brandywine" almost always wins.
At the risk of starting another battle, "heirloom" implies "open
pollinated," but the reverse depends on your definition of "heirloom."

Old 26-08-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT), fsadfa
wrote:

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms. The
hybrids took over pretty quickly when introduced was no accident, they
are better in every way, but you have to pay for the seeds every year.

I do not think you understood at all what I posted.

I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or
hybrid - I just want it identified.

I have not praised hybrids or heirlooms over each other, and place my
interest in flavor above all. It does me no good if a tomato
withstands all blights and predation only to produce cardboard fruit.
Similarly, I get no benefit from a potentially delicious fruit that
never gets to ripen on the vine.

Although I am an inveterate seed saver and known to toss any sort of
kitchen seed or pit into the dirt in an attempt to coax germination, I
am also savvy enough to buy cheap seeds when the opportunity presents
itself. Really, it isn't that large a part of my gardening budget that
it concerns me in the least.

I have a date palm growing...the pit came from a piece of fruit was
on a breakfast plate at a hotel in Las Vegas last spring. That's my
kind of fun.

Boron
Old 26-08-2011, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

How nice for you.

I presume that your unidentified "heirloom" tomato is still in
production, it being only the 25th of Aug., and still full summer here
in the northern hemisphere. I realize that a person of your experience
doesn't require assistance, so just let me answer this question for
others who may encounter this problem, but who don't have your wealth of
knowledge. I have suggestions as to what you can do with your tomatoes.
The most productive one would be to take a tomato and a leaf to a local
nursery to try and match it, or as Susan "The Cook" would suggest, your
local ag. extension office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

No anecdotes required.

OK, at ease. If you got 'em, plant 'em.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it's not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That's hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don't get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 26-08-2011, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:26:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT), fsadfa

I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or
hybrid - I just want it identified.

How nice for you.

Likewise, I am sure.

I presume that your unidentified "heirloom" tomato is still in
production, it being only the 25th of Aug., and still full summer here
in the northern hemisphere.

The heirloom is spent and has been for almost 2 weeks. Late blight got
to it early, actually, and it spread from that to other plants near
by, taking out several others, but I have another patch of different
varieties far from it.

Northern NJ here. Great summer for tomatoes.. Never had so many
tomatoes so early in the season. Most grown from seed sewn directly in
the soil. I have great luck with that. The "heirloom" and Mortgage
Lifter were purchased as plants, though.

Go on with your exposition, I am sure someone is listening.

Boron
Old 26-08-2011, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:26:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

Will that please you?

Old 26-08-2011, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:01:26 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Go on with your exposition, I am sure someone is listening.

Boron

Will that please you?

There is enough BS here to keep a large farm well-fertilized.
If you want to preach, go for it. I am not particularly tolerant of
lectures or finger wagging about the One True Path.

Boron
Old 26-08-2011, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar wrote:
There is enough BS here to keep a large farm well-fertilized.
If you want to preach, go for it. I am not particularly tolerant of
lectures or finger wagging about the One True Path.

all gardens are well done in BS.
as soon as the poop stops and nobody is
about to care for them then they'll
revert to the local flora in time.

at the moment, most of usenet is like
this with the few odd holdouts marking
the space, like the odd apple tree at the
margins of a lot that has long since grown
over and shows no signs of the previous
homestead.

songbird
Old 26-08-2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Go on with your exposition, I am sure someone is listening.

Boron

Will that please you?

There is enough BS here to keep a large farm well-fertilized.
If you want to preach, go for it. I am not particularly tolerant of
lectures or finger wagging about the One True Path.

Boron

Please indicate where you find the bull shit in my posts to you, so that
I may avoid similar gaffs in the future. It must be irritating to have
new gardeners making suggestions to you, but that is the price you pay
for posting to a mixed group of UseNet posters.

It does seem odd though, that someone who has "been growing tomatoes for
over a quarter of a century and have the methodology down pat", wouldn't
have tried to identify a tomato in their garden that "has produced fruit
that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste", while they still had fruit.
Ate all of them, did ya?

But as you know with your quarter of a century of experience, because it
is an heirloom tomato, it will reproduce to type when you plant the
seeds next year. It doesn't really matter what it's called, does it,
because you have the seeds to re-grow it and enjoy it, again, and again,
because it is an self-pollinating (heirloom) tomato. Then, if you wish
to identify your mystery tomato, you can take it to someone who can
identify it (nursery, ag. extention, ect). Thank heavens that a person
like you with a quarter of a century of growing tomatoes behind them
knew to save the seeds for this tomato with "indescribably delicious
complexity of taste".

You did save the seeds , didn't you?

That's my kind of fun ;O)
--
[...]

On the topic of Dynamic Lifter ... (WAS Joyce, barny, weak as dynamic lifter but smelly!) Guru Meditation #17353205736387509676465633 Australia 1 25-09-2005 04:50 AM
Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes Anonymous Edible Gardening 8 15-02-2004 04:56 PM
Mortgage Lifter Bill Edible Gardening 11 27-07-2003 10:42 PM
Tomato "Mortgage Lifter Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 01:44 AM
Looking for Red Mortgage Lifter Bill Edible Gardening 6 26-01-2003 02:30 AM