Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seed Starting

Can you start seeds in Floral Block? The green stuff that they use in
arrangements to keep the stems wet. I am having a hard time finding a
medium for seed in my Aero Garden and I am too cheep to buy there
stuff. I have tried regular foam (off foam paint brushes), cotton
balls, another foam product that didn't hold enough water. I am trying
the block but I wondered if anyone else had done this. Thanks
MJ
Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 3, 9:29*am, songbird wrote:
wrote:
Can you start seeds in Floral Block? The green stuff that they use in
arrangements to keep the stems wet.

* not too likely, it's very dense. *the
roots would have a tough time getting
through that.

* what seeds are you looking to start?

I am having a hard time finding a
medium for seed in my Aero Garden and I am too cheep to buy there
stuff. I have tried regular foam (off foam paint brushes), cotton
balls, another foam product that didn't hold enough water. I am trying
the block but I wondered if anyone else had done this. Thanks
MJ

* what is wrong with a mix of peat and
vermiculite?

* both of these are available in mass
quantities. *avoid breathing the dust
when mixing.

* songbird

Should have mentioned that Aero Gardens are hydroponic
Here come the pot jokes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

In the past I have had seeds germinate on damp kitchen towel, in a tray
covered with cling wrap. Once they have a leaf you can use that to lift and
plant them. I did find that spreading them too thick the roots became
entangled and made them difficult to separate.

Since then I have found it is easier to use seed raising mix and then wash
it off once the plants are established.

Mike

Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson and Josie Owen
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...stripbooks&fie
ld-keywords=Creative+Propagation&x=15&y=21

ANNUALS AND BIENNIALS FROM SEED

In practice, containers in which seeds are to be sown are prepared by
two-thirds filling them with potting compost, to provide the lower
layer. The topping of porous grit or vermiculite is then added to fill
the container, apart from a gap below the rim about C.5 cm (I in) deep
to allow for watering. Very small seeds, such as lobelias and begonias,
are scattered over the surface and allowed to sink into the upper layers
of the grit when they are watered;

Figure 5.3 Seeds should always be sown in the smallest container that
will hold the number of plants needed. A gritty well-drained compost
reduces risks of damping off, and makes management easier.

57

medium-sized seeds, which would include pansies and cabbages, are
scattered evenly over the surface, and then 'ploughed' in using a pencil
or pointed stick to break up the surface and bury the seeds beneath it.
Sweet peas, lupins and other larger seeds are sown on a shallow bed of
the porous grit immediately above the lower layer of compost, and more
grit is added to bury them about 1.5 cm (9/16 in) beneath the surface.

When seeds have been sown in this way their management becomes extremely
simple. They should be covered until they start to germinate, and
nothing does this better than sheets of expanded polystyrene‹ceiling
tiles can be used, the pot holders used to deliver pot-plants to
florists shops, or sheets of salvaged packing material‹all can easily be
cut to exactly the size required, and the material does not provide a
cold surface on which water condenses and drips on to the seeds below.
When seedlings emerge these sheets should be removed each morning and
replaced each evening, until the seedlings grow up and come into contact
with the polystyrene. The seeds and young seedlings must never be
allowed to become dry, or suffer stress from lack of water. If in any
doubt they should always be watered copiously, using a watering can with
a fine rose, from above. There is little danger of causing damage from
overwatering because the layer in which the seeds are sown drains freely
and retains no surplus water. Later, as seedlings develop, the parts
which are most vulnerable to the fungal infection which cause them to
damp off are also located in the porous, free-draining upper layer and
are much less likely to suffer from these problems, even with less than
skilful watering.
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum

Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

I used to do Aero Garden, but I've been decluttering, and getting rid of
them was very helpful.

I understand your problem. The stuff to hold the seed has to hold
together in the little hole and not fall into the water, yet it has to
permit growth.

BUT I had great luck using Aerogardens just for their lights. Have you
considered using just that part of them? They're good grow lights.

Priscilla
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 4, 4:19*pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Yes they are working great. I have put an Armarillis (sp) pot on the
side and it is doing great. I also have a pot with dirt within range
and seeds germinated overnight. Go figure
Old 07-11-2011, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I am having a hard time finding a
medium for seed in my Aero Garden and I am too cheep to buy there
stuff.

The item on their web page looks a lot like highly compressed peat moss
to me.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Registered User

A seed germinates when the environment around is conducive this includes temperature, light levels etc.. When the environment is not favorable for the seed to sprout, it simply waits.
home improvement |
remodeling