Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pine nuts handling

My property in the mountains has pine nuts. We used to go get them when we
were kids. Now, I see them for sale for $20 for about half a small Zip Lock
bag.

We used to boil them, or bake them, or eat them raw. They seem to go hard
after a while.

What is a good handling protocol? Keep raw until you roast/boil/bake them?
Seal a meal? Freezer? Cool place?

Steve

Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Registered User

According to my knowledge few tips are available :-

1. When cooking for guests, be sure to let them know when you cook with pine nuts. Most people who are allergic to more common nuts are also allergic to pine nuts.

2. Pine nuts may be eaten raw but are usually roasted or toasted. As with most nuts, toasting brings out more flavor.

3. Roast raw pine nuts on a flat tray in a 350-degree F. oven for about 10 minutes, shaking halfway through. They may also be toasted on top of the stove in a heavy skillet, stirring often until they turn golden.
home improvement |
remodeling