Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Low protein vegetables.

On Feb 10, 5:52*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Sean Straw wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 23:26:29 -0500, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

My doctor is *suggesting low protein vegetables for a while. * *I
have Gout . Which I have been trying to address over a few years
with diet.

Uhm, low PURINE.

Protien rich foods should be reduced, but not wholly avoided. *Not all
protien foods are high in purines, much as not all sugars metabolize
at the same rate.

I'm not a doctor, but what you might consider doing is increasing your
intake of foods which help the body eliminate uric acid, such as leafy
greens. *ALso red cabbage, tomatoes, and green beans.

I'd seek the advice of a nutritionist (if your doctor refers you,
perhaps your medical insurance will cover it).

My wife has suffered gout a few times in the past 10 years. *From what
I've seen, it's clearly no fun.

There seems to be some disagreement about this. *Wikipedia quotes some
articles saying that purine intake is not as important as once thought.

D- Hide quoted text -

I've been reading that too.
It appears that a heart healthy diet for keeping down cholesterol is
also good for gout.
Main point is cutting back on red meat and avoiding fats.
Vegetables are good for you but things like french fries should not be
considered as vegetables
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

That's only partially true. If you try to use soy products for protein in
place of red meat gout flares can increase. Been there, done that, got the
tee shirt. The foods that cause me the most problems are chicken livers
(absolutely love them, but only a couple will cause a week or more of agony)
and soy. A few years ago in an attempt to lower cholesterol I substituted
soy for all red meats. I had the absolute worst flare ever. Usually I only
get it in one big toe or the other. That time it was in both toes and both
ankles. I couldn't walk for nearly 2 weeks.

Steve