Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered User

Location: cheltenham
Smile Lotty Life

Hello all,
Ive just been allocated an allottment from my local council and am busy now prepairing the ground to plant veg.My quetion is what to plant or put in now?
Here is a list of the things i would like to grow.

potatoes
beetroot
carrotts
kale
onions
broad beans
pumpkins squash

Am open to all sugestions,regards beau.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Lotty Life

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:31:46 +0000, BEAU66
wrote:

Hello all,
Ive just been allocated an allottment from my local council and am busy
now prepairing the ground to plant veg.My quetion is what to plant or
put in now?
Here is a list of the things i would like to grow.

potatoes
beetroot
carrotts

Turnips, Parsnips, Radish. Radish are quick growers, so you can
interplant with the carrots, and by harvesting the radish, you're
providing more space for the carrots to expand into.

kale

Lettuces, Spinach, Chard, Broccoli, Cauliflower.

onions

Garlic, Shallots, Chives I have a bunch of shallots I've just planted
recently, from shallots stored from last spring.

broad beans

What, like lima and fava? Pole and Runner beans are a fave in our
household. Blue Lake 274, Purple Podded Pole. Scarlet Runner. Also
peas, which you could be planting now (sugar snap peas are tasty and
the whole pod is edible).

pumpkins squash

Squash vines will take up space. Be prepared for that. However, the
winter varieties store nicely. Summer squash (of which I have several
started already), are great in pasta.

I note you don't list Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Corn, or any melons...

If you are to have the same allotment from year to year, you might
plant asparagus, Artichoke, and Cardoon, which are perennials.
Raspberries are good too.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

BEAU66 wrote:
Hello all,
Ive just been allocated an allottment from my local council and am
busy now prepairing the ground to plant veg.My quetion is what to
plant or put in now?
Here is a list of the things i would like to grow.

potatoes
beetroot
carrotts
kale
onions
broad beans
pumpkins squash

Am open to all sugestions,regards beau.

What is your climate? How long is your growing season between frosts and
what season is it now? How much space do you have?

Without more details you are asking how long is a piece of string.