Old 16-03-2009, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lotty update

You may recall (or not) how it looked originally.....
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/plot2/plot2
Here it is this afternoon.....
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/plot3/plot3

A few weeks back, with the plot under water, I was resigned to not planting
this year. However, I'll get some tattys in soon, and whatever else I can
clear space for.
The flooding appears to be because we are at a natural low point in the
area, and with the wet winter, the water table just rose to ground level.
You can see scaffold poles in the pics....I pulled one up yesterday, and the
hole filled with water to about 6" below the surface. Neighbour tried
digging a drainage trench, but that won't work. Just have to make the most
of it.
WANTED......... 7'x5' shed, 1.0 -1.5 KVA generator, rotovator..........all
cheap......... anyone? LOL

Cleared some tiny patches in my garden Sunday, and put in a first sowing of
peas. Gonna do some tattys in bags (thanks Val) and maybe some runners.
Sometimes think I should have had a career in gardening......just love it!

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 16-03-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote
[...]

Very sensible using paving slabs as a path, no weed refuge (or grass path as
it's called).
If you aren't going to use all the land and you can get those brambles down
to grass height and then keep mowing them so they can't grow you will see
the back of them permanently by next winter.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-03-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well done Pete And as replied to elsewhere ...

Huge improvement and I can see how much you're enjoying getting your
allotment in working order.

Although you may not be ready to grow all that I'm growing now, at least
you've made a start and should be able to reap a crop of basic foods this
year. Have you thought of perhaps having an area for soft fruit like
blackcurrants, gooseberries, and raspberries - and perhaps a couple of half
standard or dwarf fruit trees? For instance, I've found room for two sweet
apples trees, one Bramley, and one Victoria Plum. I also have blackcurrant,
redcurrant, and gooseberry bushes, and a herb garden.

So far in my veg plot I've planted red onions, broad beans, early peas,
mange tout, and spinach in raised beds, and early potatoes in various
containers. My runner bean trench is all ready for putting seed into next
month as it's too early now, and in the green house I'm growing courgette,
various squash, sweet peas and other flower seeds in pots and trays as well
as tomatoes and cucumbers. The pink fir apple potatoes are still too early
to plant out yet as they are a main crop but I will be doing that at the end
of this month or early in April.

I simply love gardening. It's my most favourite hobby.

Happy gardening Pete and keep us updated on how you get on. HUGS

I'll second that Val. I remember what pride John took in his allotment.
His plot was in a dreadful state when he took it over but he really
worked hard just as Pete is doing. It is going to be interesting to
watch how it progresses. I think the only negative part of growing in an
allotment is the need to carry huge amounts of water about. It was a
real chore, considering that his plot was quite near a stand pipe. Its
amazing what one will put up with to grow ones own veg.
Well done Pete, and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Bobbie

Lotty Life BEAU66 Edible Gardening 2 04-04-2012 11:31 PM
I gotta lotty Pete C[_2_] United Kingdom 10 27-10-2008 10:07 AM
LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
OrchidSafari Update K Barrett Orchids 0 01-02-2003 04:57 AM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM