Old 18-05-2012, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default holes in every single one of my nectarines!

I was out watering my nectarine tree yesterday, and noticed small
holes in each and every single one of them. Thankfully, it was just the
nectarine, and none on the peach tree nearby. Each hole is probably
half a millimeter in size, and there is a very thick gelatinous
substance that has exuded. When I crack one of the small (around
quarter sized) nectarines open, it looks like a worm trail in there. I
think the entire crop I was hoping for is ruined.

Anyone have any ideas on what this might be? I planted the tree last
year, and this was going to be my first harvest. At this point, should
I just pull all of the nectarine fruits off, and let the tree put all of
its energy into growth instead? Thanks!
Old 19-05-2012, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:

I was out watering my nectarine tree yesterday, and noticed small
holes in each and every single one of them. Thankfully, it was just the
nectarine, and none on the peach tree nearby. Each hole is probably
half a millimeter in size, and there is a very thick gelatinous
substance that has exuded. When I crack one of the small (around
quarter sized) nectarines open, it looks like a worm trail in there. I
think the entire crop I was hoping for is ruined.

Anyone have any ideas on what this might be? I planted the tree last
year, and this was going to be my first harvest. At this point, should
I just pull all of the nectarine fruits off, and let the tree put all of
its energy into growth instead? Thanks!

how big a tree? how many fruits?

i'd just leave them alone and see if
the fruits will mature without rotting.
then you can harvest and cut out the
affected part and still have something.

as an untried by me alternative you
can take a syringe and poke in the hole
and inject heavy salt water and see if
that will stop the worm in it's tracks
and still not harm the fruit. at this
stage it is likely the fruit will heal
or scar tissue around the damage and
still ripen later ok.

i wouldn't do this for all of them,
but some, to see what happens.

and in a while a paper bag over the
fruits to see if i could capture the
critter as it emerges for proper id and
later corrective measures.

songbird

One born every minute? David Hill United Kingdom 23 11-06-2013 02:52 PM
Rose - Rose-Single-Pink-4.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 17-04-2009 10:15 AM
Where is every one Sharon Capps Roses 12 21-12-2007 02:11 PM
Ripening Nectarines Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 2 20-07-2007 09:31 PM