Old 16-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich, UK
Default New to this gardening business

Hello everyone, I'm new to gardening and need loads of guidance.

So, I wheedled a bit of dads garden for myself to grow veg, at the moment it's 10'x10' doesn't get maximum sun all day (loses the sun late afternoons about 4-5) with a tree stump in the middle (apple I think)

The first job is to get rid of the stump.

What should my second job be?
Old 17-10-2012, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

NewShmoo wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to gardening and need loads of guidance.

So, I wheedled a bit of dads garden for myself to grow veg, at the
moment it's 10'x10' doesn't get maximum sun all day (loses the sun
late afternoons about 4-5) with a tree stump in the middle (apple I
think)

The first job is to get rid of the stump.

What should my second job be?

Decide what you want to grow.

The species that will grow well will depend on the climate, soil and aspect
of your plot. Then select from those the kind of veges you want. Then
prepare the ground to plant your selection at its appropriate season. You
appear to be in the UK so your choice for immediate planting will be limited
by the cooler weather approaching, that is some things should wait until
spring. Depending on the severity of your winter; brassicas (the cabbage
family), peas, broad beans, the onion family and some salad greens might be
good for planting now.

Perhaps some books from the local library will help answer some of these
questions or talking to local experienced gardeners such as at a garden
club. Such a club will be full of the dreaded old fogies but they may
actually be very helpful if you approach them correctly.

David

Old 17-10-2012, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:21:02 PM UTC-6, David Hare-Scott wrote:
NewShmoo wrote:

[...]

Yes, don't sneak up on them...if you startle them they might have a heart attack and croak.
Ahahahahahahahahahaaahhahaha
Old 17-10-2012, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
NewShmoo wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new to gardening and need loads of guidance.

So, I wheedled a bit of dads garden for myself to grow veg, at the
moment it's 10'x10' doesn't get maximum sun all day (loses the sun late
afternoons about 4-5) with a tree stump in the middle (apple I think)

The first job is to get rid of the stump.

What should my second job be?

Preparing your garden soil for spring. 25/1, mulch/manure. Dig it in, or
not. Digging it in will speed up the development of the soil. Keep
gardening beds covered in mulch. Maybe read about cold frames, and hoop
houses.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Gardening Business Suetwo Gardening 0 16-04-2007 01:06 PM
Home improvement business - expanding your business market abilities. [email protected] Lawns 0 26-12-2006 04:19 PM
Starting My Own Gardening Business Rotax100uk United Kingdom 5 27-06-2004 07:19 PM