Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Registered User

Location: London
Question Growing food in old food cans

I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans. They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg in them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as how to remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched in the top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener would not cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing food in old food cans

Greenwif wrote:
I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans.
They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg in
them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as how to
remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched in the
top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener would not
cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?

When I worked in the oil fields one summer, when we wanted to cut the
top off an oil drum we went around the rim with a hammer and the jaw of
a pipe wrench, using it like a chisel. Kind of like using an
old-fashioned "P-38" can opener. But bigger. And with a hammer.

Bob
Old 09-11-2012, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Greenwif wrote:
I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans.
They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg
in them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as
how to remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched
in the top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener
would not cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?

You may be surprised, give the can opener a go. The main problem is not so
much the thickness of the metal but the depth of the rim at the top that the
opener may not be able to clamp on to and still cut the lid. I assume you
have the kind that cuts the lid, the kind that cuts the side of the can
leave a very sharp edge as the folded rim is removed.

If that doesn't work you can use a can triangular punch all the way round
the edge, this will leave a series of triangular tags of metal attached to
the rim that will have sharp edges, once you get the lid out you can hammer
these tags down flat on the inside and they shouldn't be too dangerous. Any
kind of saw (jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade) or abrasive cutter will also
leave a nasty sharp edge that you will have to deal with.

In desperation (who didn't pack the can opener?) I have opened cans with a
knife but if you don't have the right kind of knife and sufficient control
of it this is a risky procedure as you can get a nasty cut from the knife,
the sharp edge of the can or both. If doing it use a knife with a short
strong blade and hold the can in some way so you can control the knife with
both hands. If you don't have strong hands don't try it. I would leave
this as a last resort.

BTW what do mean by 'very large'? If less than 10 litres you may be largely
wasting your time.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Greenwif wrote:
I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans.
They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg in
them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as how to
remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched in the
top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener would not
cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?

When I worked in the oil fields one summer, when we wanted to cut the
top off an oil drum we went around the rim with a hammer and the jaw of
a pipe wrench, using it like a chisel. Kind of like using an
old-fashioned "P-38" can opener. But bigger. And with a hammer.

probably a bit too destructive to the can
i'm imagining the OP is talking about...

tin snips might be good enough. watch out
for those sharp edges and metal splinters
(might want to grind or file the edges).

or call around to local metal shops and
see if they can do it for a few $.

if you want them to last as planters use a
liner of some kind to keep the metal away from
the dirt and also put them up off the ground
so they don't rust from below.

songbird
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Greenwif wrote:
[...]

I see this as the perfect excuse to buy an angle grinder and with a cutting
disc it should make short work of the lid.

Something like this
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...tml?cid=207675
or this http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-90...r/100-2320.prd

Me I would go to Bunnings or Masters any excuse to buy a cheap power tool.

Mike

Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bloke Down The Pub said:

Greenwif wrote:
I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans.
They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg
in them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as
how to remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched
in the top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener
would not cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?

I see this as the perfect excuse to buy an angle grinder and with a cutting
disc it should make short work of the lid.

Something like this
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...o-Tools-Angle-

Grinder/5992215/product.html?cid=207675
or this
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-90...r/100-2320.prd

Me I would go to Bunnings or Masters any excuse to buy a cheap power
tool.

I like the way you think! (I used to drive my boss a little crazy insisting on
getting the proper tools for the job at hand.)

But I also agree with David:

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Greenwif wrote:

I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans.
They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg in
them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as how to
remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched in the
top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener would not
cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?

Beware of sparky options (someone suggested an angle grinder). Oil fumes
igniting in a mostly-closed vessel can be more interesting than you want
to be standing next to.

For 55 gallon/210 liter barrels a cold-chisel and a hammer work just
fine - would also work fine (might grab a smaller chisel if you have
several) if you're working with more like 20 liters. Sharpen the chisel
first if need be.