Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Habaneros?

Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves? I
planted a couple and have babied them through the spring temps only to
have something chew up those pretty leaves!

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?
--
Natural Girl

Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Natural Girl wrote:

Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves? I
planted a couple and have babied them through the spring temps only to
have something chew up those pretty leaves!

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?

As I grow older and mix up pyerthrum and rotenone in the crevices of my
mind, I find considerable benefit to just looking. But carefully, and
over longer periods of time than I could manage as an impatient
youngster. If you watch carefully (or let a cheap videocamera do it),
you may catch the leaf-eater in action.

Major leaf-eating is usually caterpillars around here - may be
leaf-cutting ants in other places. At least, that is, until you move up
to deer (rats with hooves) or rabbits. Telling the difference involves
looking at the way the leaf is eaten, for tracks, for frass (caterpillar
manure) and for webs. Or a line of ants carrying leaf parts.

Look under the leaves, along the stems, look for/in rolled-up leaves.
Caterpillars can, surprisingly, be somewhat hard to spot as they can
match color very well (though some don't, in positively
Alice-in-Wonderland ways.) Any "spiderwebs" on the plant were probably
spun by and may be hiding a caterpillar.

Also look for egg masses under the leaves, but an egg mass isn't eating
- yet.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:36:29 PM UTC-4, Natural Girl wrote:
Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves? I

planted a couple and have babied them through the spring temps only to

have something chew up those pretty leaves!

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?

--

Natural Girl

It could be slugs. They have totally eaten my kale seedlings this year. Try using Sluggo. It's an organic (iron phosphate)treatment that works wonders on slugs and snails.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/5/2013 11:47 AM, Steve Peek wrote:
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:36:29 PM UTC-4, Natural Girl wrote:
Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves? I

planted a couple and have babied them through the spring temps only to

have something chew up those pretty leaves!

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?

--

Natural Girl

It could be slugs. They have totally eaten my kale seedlings this year. Try using Sluggo. It's an organic (iron phosphate)treatment that works wonders on slugs and snails.

I put some D.E. *diatomaceous earth* all around them... it looks like
the chewing has stopped, but the leaves look pitiful even though it's
not dead. Do you think it will recover and put on new leaves? Are they
hearty plants?

--
Natural Girl

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/4/2013 10:19 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Natural Girl wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info ... now I'm going to practically dissecting my
pepper leaves.

--
Natural Girl

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Natural Girl" wrote in message
[...]

My advice would be that if you don't need that spot for something else, wait
and see what happens. If they aren't being chomped now then they should
recover as the season progresses.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/5/2013 7:04 PM, Farm1 wrote:
[...]

I checked the habaneros this evening and they are still alive. I guess
they are waiting for more warm weather to start growing! My peas are
doing well, though, and a few tomato plants have baby tomatoes on the
vines. So far so good.

--
Natural Girl

Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:

[...]

All the advice is good, but you haven't told us if there are slugs or
snails in your garden. If you have them, Steve's suggestion that you try
a ferric phosphate (iron phosphate) bait is a good one. It is harmless
to just about everything except gastropods (slugs or snails). Do you
have white flies? You may try spraying your plants with water,
especially underneath. To cover all bases, take a flashlight and go look
at your plants at night.

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow."
- Anon

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Natural Girl wrote:

[...]

I've been looking and haven't found any at all. When I planted these
peppers in this container there were ants in it, but they were like those
tiny black ones. I don't know if they chomp on pepper leaves or not.
Since I put diatomaceous earth all around the plant and some on the leaves I
haven't seen any further destruction of the leaves, but they were pretty
chewed up by then.

If you have them, Steve's suggestion that you
try a ferric phosphate (iron phosphate) bait is a good one. It is
harmless to just about everything except gastropods (slugs or
snails).

I'll have to get some of that slug bait. Thanks for the idea.

Do you have white flies?

I haven't seen any.

You may try spraying your plants
with water, especially underneath. To cover all bases, take a
flashlight and go look at your plants at night.

I've looked when it's getting dark, but not actually after it is dark. The
weather here has been cold and rainy for a while so I haven't wanted to get
myself out there to look after dark. But it's a good idea.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

My garden has had Scotch Bonnets and Red Savinas for the last 12
years plus Ghost Peppers for the last four years. Unfortunately
the management of my house requires a few vegetables - otherwise
I would only grow Habaneros.

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves?

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?

I don't many pests because my plants because I spray every with the
pesticide you will find at:

http://www.gardenguides.com/115374-h...er-plants.html
OR
tinyurl.com/d9qweo9

Dick
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dick Adams wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

My garden has had Scotch Bonnets and Red Savinas for the last 12
years plus Ghost Peppers for the last four years. Unfortunately
the management of my house requires a few vegetables - otherwise
I would only grow Habaneros.

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves?

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?

I don't many pests because my plants because I spray every with the
pesticide you will find at:

http://www.gardenguides.com/115374-h...er-plants.html
OR
tinyurl.com/d9qweo9

Dick

ok I think I will give that a try. Thanks!

--
Natural Girl

Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dick Adams wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
Has anyone grown those hot peppers before?

My garden has had Scotch Bonnets and Red Savinas for the last 12
years plus Ghost Peppers for the last four years. Unfortunately
the management of my house requires a few vegetables - otherwise
I would only grow Habaneros.

What sort of pests would be eating the daylights out of the leaves?

Any ideas? Will the plants survive being eaten like that?

I don't many pests because my plants because I spray every with the
pesticide you will find at:

http://www.gardenguides.com/115374-h...er-plants.html
OR
tinyurl.com/d9qweo9

Dick

I wonder how that's fares with stink bugs. They attack the fruit. The thing
is, I had no problem with scotch bonnets. I had problem with ghost peppers.
I have not planted red Savinas lately. The stink bugs will attack the sweet
peppers, tomatoes, etc. I'm planting scotch bonnets !

Greg
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
gregz wrote:

Dick Adams wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you could use a bird feeder in your garden.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.