Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 'superwheat' that boosts crops by 30%

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...heat-boosts-cr
ops-30--Creation-new-grain-hailed-biggest-advance-farming-generation.html

The Cambridge-based team selected early wheat and grass varieties from
seed banks across the globe and cross-bred them for maximum potential.

'This year our crop had a 30 per cent better yields, which took us a bit
by surprise,' said Dr Barsby. 'Although to is in the early stages, we
are very optimistic.

'In the past decade, our wheat yield had started to plateau off and we
needed another increase in productivity to meet demand.

'It is about finding novel characteristics from the original ancestors
of wheat and breeding them to make them as productive and resilient as
possible.' Dr Barsby said the technique involved breeding selected
species of wheat and grass, and that no GM-technology was involved.

'You can sometimes become too focused on one technology like GM and not
look at other techniques that can bring you similar success,' she said.

Over the next 50 years, the world needs to grow more wheat than has been
produced in the 10,000 years since agriculture began.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

wonder how much nutrients this puppy sucks from
the soil?

it's gotta come from somewhere...

songbird
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

wonder how much nutrients this puppy sucks from
the soil?

it's gotta come from somewhere...

songbird

No report on how much nutrient it gives, either. However, it would be a
stretch to say it is worse than what we are already being given. At
least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from GMOs.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:35 PM UTC-6, Billy wrote:
In article ,

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

wonder how much nutrients this puppy sucks from

the soil?

it's gotta come from somewhere...

songbird

No report on how much nutrient it gives, either. However, it would be a

stretch to say it is worse than what we are already being given. At

least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from GMOs.

Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential allergens that are produced from GMOs"?...sounds like quite a stretch IME.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

wonder how much nutrients this puppy sucks from

the soil?

it's gotta come from somewhere...

songbird

No report on how much nutrient it gives, either. However, it would be a

stretch to say it is worse than what we are already being given. At

least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from GMOs.

Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential allergens that are
produced from GMOs"?...sounds like quite a stretch IME.

I'm just a spectator. What do you know?

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...eticfood36.htm
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Roy wrote:
Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential
allergens that are produced from GMOs"?...sounds like
quite a stretch IME.

no idea where it started, but people wonder
about what/how many fragments of DNA are
caused by GM techniques that are not caused
by more normal plant breeding methods.

songbird
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:18:40 PM UTC-6, Billy wrote:
In article ,

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

wonder how much nutrients this puppy sucks from

the soil?

it's gotta come from somewhere...

songbird

No report on how much nutrient it gives, either. However, it would be a

stretch to say it is worse than what we are already being given. At

least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from GMOs.

Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential allergens that are

produced from GMOs"?...sounds like quite a stretch IME.

I'm just a spectator. What do you know?

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...eticfood36.htm

--

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Why would GMOs have any more propensity for causing allergic reactions than non-GMOs?

Blaming GMOs for everything that is bad for mankind and/or other animal
life seems to be a common trait amongst critics of GMO production
....purely guess-work and conjecture.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Roy wrote:

least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from
GMOs.

Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential allergens
that are

produced from GMOs"?...sounds like quite a stretch IME.

I'm just a spectator. What do you know?

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...eticfood36.htm

--

Why would GMOs have any more propensity for causing allergic
reactions than non-GMOs?

Did you see the part of the ref that you were given that describes how the
scatter-gun effect of genetic manipulation may turn on genes not normally
expressed? So you can end up with an allergen (among other things) being
produced in the GM version not produced by the wild ancestor.

Blaming GMOs for everything that is bad for mankind and/or other
animal

If anybody here had done that they ought to spanked and sent to bed with no
dinner. Who was it? Personally I can think of quite a few bad things for
mankind not related to GMOs.

life seems to be a common trait amongst critics of GMO production
...purely guess-work and conjecture.

Who here guessed? Who conjectured? Could be that stupid Homo paleas. He's
the bloke who has trouble staying on his feet, gets knocked down all the
time.

David

Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I gave an inadequate response. I was in a rush, because I had to
make dinner, but I'm back now.
Try:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060930094033.htm
or
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/08/efsa-assesses-allergens-in-gmos/
or
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074761303001158
or
http://stopogm.net/sites/stopogm.net/files/SeedsDeception.pdf
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_Pusztai
In 1995 Árpád Pusztai began research on genetically modified potatoes
containing the GNA lectin gene from the snowdrop plant.[2] His group fed
rats on raw and cooked genetically modified potatoes, using Desiree Red
potatoes as controls. In 1998 Árpád Pusztai said in an interview on a
World in Action programme that his group had observed damage to the
intestines and immune systems of rats fed the genetically modified
potatoes. He also said, "If I had the choice I would certainly not eat
it," and that, "I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as
guinea pigs."[4]

Again, I am but a spectator. What do you know of this?
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

wonder how much nutrients this puppy sucks from

the soil?

it's gotta come from somewhere...

songbird

No report on how much nutrient it gives, either. However, it would be a

stretch to say it is worse than what we are already being given. At

least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from GMOs.

Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential allergens that are
produced from GMOs"?...sounds like quite a stretch IME.

Is Upper Thérien Lake thawed out by now? How extensive is French culture
in Alberta? You must know that the French don't like GMOs at all.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Roy wrote:

least it won't have the potential allergens that are produced from
GMOs.

Who on Earth came up with that BS statement "potential allergens
that are

produced from GMOs"?...sounds like quite a stretch IME.

I'm just a spectator. What do you know?

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...eticfood36.htm

--

Why would GMOs have any more propensity for causing allergic
reactions than non-GMOs?

Did you see the part of the ref that you were given that describes how the
scatter-gun effect of genetic manipulation may turn on genes not normally
expressed? So you can end up with an allergen (among other things) being
produced in the GM version not produced by the wild ancestor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16753962
Gene transfer and cauliflower mosaic virus promoter 35S activity in
mammalian cells.
Paparini A, Romano-Spica V.
Source

IUSM, University Institute for Movement Science, Department of Health
Sciences, Rome, Italy.
Abstract

The cauliflower mosaic virus 35S promoter (CaMV35s) is extensively used
in genetically modified crops for human and animal consumption.
Horizontal gene transfer is attracting particular attention, in light of
experimental reports, showing the presence of dietary DNA into animal
tissues. Health implications may derive from possible activities of the
heterologous promoter in mammalian cells after integration in the host
genome. To evaluate this hypothesis, in vivo and in vitro experiments
were performed using GFP as reporter gene. Recombinant plasmid DNA was
fed to Balb/c mice and searched in several tissues by PCR amplification.
The activity of the plant virus promoter was assessed by RT-PCR and
fluorescence microscopy after liposome-mediated transfection of murine
gonadic cells. Obtained data did not highlight evidences of dietary DNA
transfer in mice. No CaMV35s transcriptional activity was detected in
this experimental model. These findings emphasize the need for further
studies and standardized methods.

PMID:
16753962
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Blaming GMOs for everything that is bad for mankind and/or other
animal

If anybody here had done that they ought to spanked and sent to bed with no
dinner. Who was it? Personally I can think of quite a few bad things for
mankind not related to GMOs.

life seems to be a common trait amongst critics of GMO production
...purely guess-work and conjecture.

Who here guessed? Who conjectured? Could be that stupid Homo paleas.

Funny ;O))

Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

[...]

Someone speculated that development of non-flatulent cows to cut down on
green house gases may cause the end of the world. Who knows?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The people you are attempting to communicate with are a religious cult
that is anti-GMO. Don't bother to try to educate them. They will
spew pseudo-science back at you to refute real science. Interesting
cult. Faith based science!

You don't have any examples of this behaviour do you? So far the responses
I have seen are referring to scientific studies not religious texts. You
might want to reply with some facts instead of a broad generalisation with
no obvious evidence. So far you are exhibiting the very thing you
criticise.

David

Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Rick wrote:

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

That may very well be so, but this time they seem to be on the side of
the angels, uh, so to speak. Whether they just got lucky, or were
divinely inspired they are refering to a very important matter.

And yes, it is taken from the notoriously liberal Huffington Post, and
was written by Jeffery Smith, a prominent anti-GMO advocate who wrote
the book "Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies
About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating"
by Jeffrey M. Smith
http://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Deceptio...ly-Engineered/
dp/0972966587/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370652274&sr=1-1&keywords=S
eeds+of+deception
(Available at a library near you.)

You really should look up Dr. Arpad Pusztai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_Pusztai
Pusztai's experiment was eventually published as a letter in The Lancet
in 1999.[9] Because of the controversial nature of his research the
letter was reviewed by six reviewers - three times the usual number. One
publicly opposed the letter, another thought it was flawed, but wanted
it published "to avoid suspicions of a conspiracy against Pusztai and to
give colleagues a chance to see the data for themselves," while the
other four raised questions that were addressed by the authors.[10] The
letter reported significant differences between the thickness of the gut
epithelium of rats fed genetically modified potatoes, compared to those
fed the control diet.[9]

GMOs may turn out to be totally innocuous. Americans are basically the
test animals to determine GMOs safety as food products. There are 2
types of poisoning, one is acute, where you get struck down as if by a
bolt of lightening, and the other is chronic poisoning where a small
amount of poison is ingested over a long period of time and may result
in cancer, or some other withering away, idiocentric diseases, as in
allergies.

I don't care that you aren't worried, because I'm worried, and I don't
like the idea of being a test animal. Monsanto, et al. are trying to
shove GMOs down our throats. They should identify their products, and
let people choose. If after a period of time people come to accept GMOs,
fine, the general population will have been saved from unreasonable
testing, but that isn't what GMO producers are doing.

No GMO has been produced that has a larger yield that "natural"
cultivars There may be corn that grows better with ammonia, but that is
destroying the topsoil, and is of benefit only to ADM, and Cargill.

You will find a list of companies that use GMOs in their refined,
prepared foods he
http://fracturedparadigm.com/2013/04...-simple-list-o
f-companies-to-avoid/

Now you can support GMO products to your hearts content.

Bon appetit.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

And from the Union of Concerned Scientists

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agric...d-system/genet
ic-engineering/
--
Remember Rachel Corrie