Old 15-07-2014, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default A Berry Fruitful Morning

Another gallon of blackberries in the freezer , and I only lost a couple
ounces of blood and gained a handful of chigger bites ... What I expected to
be an hour and 3 pints or so turned into 3.5 hours well , I actually stood
in the road talking to the new neighbors for about 3/4 hour and over a
gallon of berries . I waited 3 days this time to pick , which it turns out
is a mistake . Too many over-ripe berries , pluck one and another falls too
.. And I sure ain't diggin' around in the weeds for a few berries , there's
bugs and snakes and stuff down there ! So from now until they're gone it'll
be every other day . And of course I'm not picking it all , the birds and
other small critters get their share . After all , they're the ones
responsible for us having the plants all over .
Speaking of all over , I noticed today that we have new canes growing in
areas that were bush hogged year-before-last by the utility company in their
easement for power poles , they keep the trees 30 feet away from the lines
so next year there'll be more places to pick . This year has been a banner
year for wild fruit , we've had just about the right mix of rainy and sunny
days . The blackberry patches are still covered up with unripened fruit . I
expect to harvest at a minimum another 4-6 gallons over the next few weeks .
And if all the muscadines on the vines make it to maturity , we'll be havin'
all kinds of fun makin' wine , jelly , and my wife has a great juice recipe
.. I may have to buy another freezer for what we won't have time to
process/room to store !
--
Snag
I guess tending wild fruit patches

Old 17-07-2014, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:03:47 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Where are you located? We had almost no berries in our area last year, Maryland north of Baltimore, but there were a lot of unripened ones on the bushes last weekend. I hope we get enough this year to make jelly, wine, or both.

Paul
Old 17-07-2014, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I'm in Stone County Arkansas , north central part . Last year was dismal
here , nowhere near enough rain . This year we've had rainy then sunny then
more rain , in just about the perfect mix . I finally gave up on getting any
blueactually low bush huckleberries , the critters eat them as fast as
they ripen . The 3 blackberry patches I've been working all have enormous
quantities of unripe berries , and I'll be out there again today to pick .
Every other day seems to work best . I haven't had to water my garden at all
this year and everything is just bustin' out - some of the tomato plants are
nearly 2 feet over the 5' cages , and all are loaded . We've got over 70
strawberry plants now from the original 14 I planted , and so far I've
managed to save seed from bok choy and spinach for a late summer planting .
Lettuces haven't made seed yet , but I'll be harvesting that too .

--
Snag

Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:49:34 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

The blackberries finally ripened up here. I thought there would have been more and larger berries with all the rain lately but it was more of an average year. Also, the berries seem to be ripening in phases, with only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the berries on a bush ripe and black at a time.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
The blackberries finally ripened up here. I thought there would have
been more and larger berries with all the rain lately but it was more
of an average year. Also, the berries seem to be ripening in phases,
with only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the berries on a bush ripe and black at
a time.

These have been ripening in stages too , and I've been out picking every
other or 3rd day . These are about to play out , I might get one more
picking , possibly 2 .

--
Snag