Old 28-01-2015, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default chicken poop

Hi All,

Have a new customer who claims she has the best
organic eggs in the county. Which means a great
source of organic chicken poop may be available
to me.

1) how to I get it home with out getting
chicken poop all over my car? Is it hazardous
if inhaled, etc.?

2) once I get it home, what do I do with it? Dig
it under a few months before it is time to plant?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Many thanks,
-T
Old 28-01-2015, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/28/2015 2:23 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Have a new customer who claims she has the best
organic eggs in the county. Which means a great
source of organic chicken poop may be available
to me.

1) how to I get it home with out getting
chicken poop all over my car? Is it hazardous
if inhaled, etc.?

2) once I get it home, what do I do with it? Dig
it under a few months before it is time to plant?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Many thanks,
-T

Put it in big bags or in a wash tub, even some of those big plastic
containers from the big box stores will work. DO NOT INHALE CHICKEN POOP
DUST, wear a dust mask when handling. It is very high in nitrogen and
needs to be composted before using in the garden. Mix it in with chopped
tree leaves, grass clippings, even old hay or something similar. I used
to put sawdust under the chicken roost and then the chickens would
scratch in it and mix it well. Seeded it with red wigglers and they
helped with composting. If you put the "hot" poop on your active garden
it will "burn" the plants and you will lose them.

Learned even more when our son was a line foreman on a chicken
production line for now defunct Holly Farms in East Texas. They
processed about a million chickens a month and the offal went to make
dog food and the feathers went to composting. Useful critters chickens.

Do a little online research on how to handle animal manures of any kind.
The stuff you're getting being organic helps.

Old 28-01-2015, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Have a new customer who claims she has the best
organic eggs in the county. Which means a great
source of organic chicken poop may be available
to me.

1) how to I get it home with out getting
chicken poop all over my car? Is it hazardous
if inhaled, etc.?

2) once I get it home, what do I do with it? Dig
it under a few months before it is time to plant?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Many thanks,
-T

It depends on how much you have to transport. I would go for large
re-cycled tubs with lids, such as those used to sell pool chemicals etc.
When fresh it is VERY aromatic and without a lid your, even if you don't
spill any, your car will stink for days. If you have a large amount borrow
or hire a trailer.

When it is fresh you have to use it carefully as it contains large amounts
of soluble compounds that can burn sensitive plants. Depending on the
amount that you have you could:

- dig it into beds a few weeks before planting
- sprinkle in layers into your compost heap
- add it in appropriate amounts around established trees and shrubs during
the growing season, for example on heavy nitriogen feeders such as citrus
trees.

Even when it is aged don't be heavy handed.

I treat my citrus every year at the rate of about one large shovel full per
tree, sometimes it is hot out of the chook. The trees do well.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 29-01-2015, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Most of my chicken litter is already mixed in with the hay I put in their
henhouse . I still compost it at least a few months . I had one tomato plant
that was right next to the pile , that thing was awesome from the nutrients
that leached into the soil around it .

--
Snag

Old 30-01-2015, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/28/2015 04:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

I don't plant till the second week in June. If I were to plow it
under some time in march, would that work?

Old 30-01-2015, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Yes, depending upon your climate it should be safe to plant after three
months in the ground.
Old 31-01-2015, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Hi George,

Nights are around 20 degree fahrenheit. We have freeze up till
the end of may. Day can range from the 40's to the 60's

The customer offered me a bag, if I can figure out how to use it.

Just out of curiosity, the grass that drives me crazy, would
the chicken poop kill it at the same time?

:-)

Thank you for helping me with this!

-T

Old 31-01-2015, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

If the poop gets hot enough as it composts it will. Otherwise take a
flame thrower to the grass. Mine lawn problem is rye grass, grows like a
weed, summer or winter, around here. Got here by being air dropped on a
cow pasture a few miles away.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

As long as it's broken up into small bits and not ploughed under in 1kg
chunks.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Hi Misfit,

Not to ask too stupid a question, but how would you
do this? I usually turn everything over with a
shovel to kill the grass. Should I shake a little
chicken poo in the hole before I turn the dirt clod
over? Then water like h---?

Be careful when you answer to take in to consideration
my skill level, which is a dead level beginner. I
also have a serious black thumb.

-T
Old 02-02-2015, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that'd do it - although I'd not water too much as you might be washing
the goodies away. My comment was because I've had chicken poop that is all
stuck together, accumulated over a long time under a slatted coop. That
needed to be broken up by hitting it with the back / blade of the spade

Be careful when you answer to take in to consideration
my skill level, which is a dead level beginner. I
also have a serious black thumb.

Heh! As long as it's not in great big chunks you should be fine.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

It tends to clump together especially if it gets wet and then dries out.
This makes it very hard to spread evenly. Do your main ground breaking
first, then sprinkle on the manure, then turn it. If it won't sprinkle
break it up first.

If you really are a rank beginner (we all were once) consider finding a
local gardening club. Their advice will likely be more suited to your
region than people half a world away.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Having grown up on a poultry farm (which was free range), I can tell you
that chook poop often clumps in great sheets in the sheds of free ranged
chooks. I know because I earned good childhood pocket money holding
open old feed bags when the sheds were cleaned out once a year by a
market gardener who used to come and clean out each shed, one by one, by
hand before we spread out sawdust and lime to start the cycle all over
again.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Now days you have to wear breathing equipment to do that job :-)