Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default lentils and pulses

On 3/6/2015 11:41 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

You're a sick puppy Derald.

Well, hell: It certainly took you long enough to notice.

You can't eat cobbler without BlueBell
Homemade vanilla ice cream on top. BlueBell makes a very good "Southern
Blackberry Cobbler" ice cream too. My new favorite is "Chocolate Covered
Cherries." Outstanding ice cream.

Don't start. I wouldn't eat the Bluebell ice cream alone (too many
ingredients) and no dairy with fruit or berries, thank you. Truth is, I
don't eat much fruit because it just doesn't taste good (to me).

I don't think I've ever eaten a guava, since you're in Florida you
probably grow your own.

Not this far north, no. Don't know whether they're native but
guavas are naturalized from about the Tampa Bay Area, southward.
Unusually cold winters in the mid and late 1980's reduced their number
to the point that recovery took ±20 years. Ironically, much guava
habitat was destroyed in the process of remediating earlier
environmental disruption from open pit phosphate mining.

My favorite fruit is papaya, ate some for the
first time in Bangkok and fell in love with it. Bought one in the
supermarket yesterday and it is chilling before I devour it. Even the
dog likes papaya.

Had'em in the back yard years ago when still living in NBT, a
little further south of here. Never acquired a taste except for the
juice.

I'm that way by mango, tried them several times and they were always
astringent so gave up.

We have a lot of guava plants in our neighborhood,
pineapple guava. Most don't get a chance to ripen fruit. Neighbors
across the street have four of the plants in their front flower bed.
She's from Puerto Rica and didn't realize the plants were guava.
Guess she had never picked her own and didn't recognize the growing fruit.

Hah: spent her early years in PR indoors, I guess.

I suspect she came to New York City as a child. She and her husband are
nice people, she taught grade school in Harlem for many years and he was
a Customs officer at JFK for 32 years. Grow bananas in their backyard
and have a couple of 4X4 raised beds. Have a very friendly pit bull
named "Lilac" who loves everyone she meets. Moved here when they both
retired to get away from the "CITY" as they call it, and because they
have a kid nearby.

Living in Houston, TX area nowadays is weird for a native Texan. We have
290 homes in this subdivision and about fifteen different nationalities
living here. Our next door neighbors who moved home in January were
Russian, very nice folks. New neighbor is a retired American school
teacher who is married to a Chinese woman who works in China most of the
time. Folks from all over South and Central America, Africa, most
countries in Europe, and, of course, quite a few from Latin America.
Pretty quiet here but the inhabitants drive like idiots, running 40 or
50 MPH down the streets, running stop signs, etc. Scares me badly when
it's time for the school bus to come by. We sit a great grandson most
school mornings to ensure he gets on the bus as both parent work. So
we've become street patrol while all the kids are out. I can remember
when Houston was a much smaller city the last time we lived here back in
the mid-seventies. Now it's gone berserk. To many toll roads too. I want
to move back to East Texas but wife wants to stay close to all our get.
Heck, we raised them and set them up, let them live their lives without
us bothering them. G Besides, I want more gardens, chickens, rabbits, etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/03/2015 2:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 3/5/2015 10:34 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 11:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:

Snort! You mean you didn't learn to dish it out to them when they
dished it out to you?

Back then if I came home from school with a note from the teacher or the
principal I got whopped good by all five of those women. It was the old
timer way of teaching kids to be a) polite to their elders, b) do well
in school and not cause problems, c) don't make Mama mad, you might die.
Of course there were lots of hugs and kisses after the punishment. My
grandmother taught me how to play board games, my big sisters taught me
to read and write at four years of age, great grannie let me cut the
sweet gum small branches she brushed her teeth with. She dipped snuff
and brushed her teeth with snuff. Died at 89 years of age with a full
set of teeth. I loved all of them to pieces just like they loved me.
They did make sure I would grow up to be polite, courteous, and not a
trouble maker. Seems to have worked.

It sounds like it did.

I think I'll make a blackberry cobbler tomorrow and maybe a loaf of
zucchini bread.

Show off! My poor old zucchinis have got so much powdery mildew on them
that I'll be amazed if I get another zucchini off them before the frosts
come.

Last summer's zucchini crop was sparse, only picked about six or seven
fruit, they all weighed more than three pounds and were seedless. Put up
a lot of shredded zukes and also yellow squash, which also makes a good
squash bread and can be used in casseroles.

I like to pick mine smaller than that size and eat them. The big ones
usually go to the chooks after I slice then right down the middle. They
loooooovvvvve them and the next day all that is left is a very thin
shell of skin. zucchini is such a great summer veg and like you, I too
like it in various b read forms (including cake, but then I love food).

Got down to almost freezing again early this morning, the rest of the
week the weather heads are predicting temps in the 70's and 80's. So
much for climate change.

Odd weather is consistent with climate change - it's about variability
as much as anything.

Will plant spring carrots today and clean out
the last of the fall garden. Then will amend those two beds and get
ready for all the seeds we have on the counter now. We have tomatoes and
sweet chiles nearly a foot tall under the grow light and others coming
on steadily. It's either plant out or fight the jungle inside.

So will you plant out and put protection over them? IME, I find it's no
real use in planting anything out until the soil is warm for thier
liking because the plants just sit there and sulk until the soil warmth
suits them.

I used to fly in and out of both Australia and New Zealand back in the
late nineteen fifties, was a crew member in a U.S. Navy transport
squadron. We flew stuff all over the world and it was a hoot for a rural
Texas farmboy. Don't miss it because wife and I averaged over 100,000
miles a year in flight time when we worked and lived in the Middle East
and other parts of the world. I haven't flown since 1990 when we came
home for good. Met a lot of nice people though, at least the sober ones.

:-)) I'm not much of a drinker so I avoid nearly all drunks unless they
are family and they know to avoid over consumption (99% of the time).
these days I don't like planes much either (or at elast cattle class
travel) and international travel is a PITA since ever airport now seems
ot be filled with little men with mostly dumb bossees who all seem to
think that all travellers are terrorists. Although Vietnam and Cambodia
don't yet fit that mould.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/6/2015 4:54 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Our problem was a lot of rain, blooms on the zukes one day, two days
later a giant zuke was there.It's like they sucked up all that rain and
just exploded to size. Foliage was so big and so thick they were hard to
find.

Got down to almost freezing again early this morning, the rest of the
week the weather heads are predicting temps in the 70's and 80's. So
much for climate change.

Odd weather is consistent with climate change - it's about variability
as much as anything.

Will plant spring carrots today and clean out
the last of the fall garden. Then will amend those two beds and get
ready for all the seeds we have on the counter now. We have tomatoes and
sweet chiles nearly a foot tall under the grow light and others coming
on steadily. It's either plant out or fight the jungle inside.

So will you plant out and put protection over them? IME, I find it's no
real use in planting anything out until the soil is warm for thier
liking because the plants just sit there and sulk until the soil warmth
suits them.

We can plant carrots starting in mid-February through mid-April and then
it gets to hot to plant them. Probably should have put them in last
month for a good start. The soil stays fairly warm as we mostly have
sunshine every day.

[...]

I quit drinking in 1979, had Hep A in 76, didn't drink until 79, had a
couple of shots of Kentucky bourbon, doubled up in pain, never had
another snort. Never did drink much anyway. Don't miss that or the
cigarettes I was addicted to for 42 years. I reckon getting old wakes
you up some. G

Air travel used to be a lot of fun, we could go around the world for
about US$1500 each back in the early eighties so every trip home was an
around the world trip with TWA and Singapore Air. As long as we didn't
backtrack we could stop and go anywhere we wanted. Always went through
Thailand, some of the nicest people in the world and lots of good food.
Mostly flew business as that's what the company paid for, a little more
room than cattle car and, from what I'm hearing, the seats are smaller
and jammed in together nowadays. Reckon I will drive or take a train
nowadays within the States.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 11:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
I think I'll make a blackberry cobbler tomorrow and maybe a loaf of
zucchini bread.

Show off! My poor old zucchinis have got so much powdery mildew on
them that I'll be amazed if I get another zucchini off them before
the frosts come.

gloat I have both fresh-frozen blackberries and shredded zucchini in my
freezer ... and several gallons of muscadines .

--
Snag

Old 07-03-2015, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/6/2015 6:24 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 11:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
I think I'll make a blackberry cobbler tomorrow and maybe a loaf of
zucchini bread.

Show off! My poor old zucchinis have got so much powdery mildew on
them that I'll be amazed if I get another zucchini off them before
the frosts come.

gloat I have both fresh-frozen blackberries and shredded zucchini in my
freezer ... and several gallons of muscadines .

I haven't seen a muscadine in years, most people that buy land with
muscadines cut them down so they won't be in the way. Between muscadines
and possum grapes we used to make lots of jellies and jams. I miss them
but the builders don't like them.

What are you going to do with them?

Old 07-03-2015, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 11:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
I think I'll make a blackberry cobbler tomorrow and maybe a loaf of
zucchini bread.

Show off! My poor old zucchinis have got so much powdery mildew on
them that I'll be amazed if I get another zucchini off them before
the frosts come.

gloat I have both fresh-frozen blackberries and shredded
zucchini in my freezer ... and several gallons of muscadines .

I haven't seen a muscadine in years, most people that buy land with
muscadines cut them down so they won't be in the way. Between
muscadines and possum grapes we used to make lots of jellies and
jams. I miss them but the builders don't like them.

What are you going to do with them?

Wine and jelly/jam . Might make some juice , the wife had a recipe for
grapes that should work .

--
Snag

Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 11:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
I think I'll make a blackberry cobbler tomorrow and maybe a loaf of
zucchini bread.

Show off! My poor old zucchinis have got so much powdery mildew on
them that I'll be amazed if I get another zucchini off them before
the frosts come.

gloat I have both fresh-frozen blackberries and shredded zucchini in my
freezer ... and several gallons of muscadines .

I haven't seen a muscadine in years, most people that buy land with
muscadines cut them down so they won't be in the way. Between muscadines
and possum grapes we used to make lots of jellies and jams. I miss them
but the builders don't like them.

What are you going to do with them?

We have both muscadines and scuppernongs. I eat lots of them and make
jelly too. Will probably can some juice this year.

When I was young I would go to my uncle's and stuff myself on
scuppernongs. We moved to Florida and that first fall he mailed me a
cigar box of scuppernongs. When we moved back to NC my grandfather
had built a scuppernong arbor in the back yard. Heaven!
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 07-03-2015, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 11:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
I think I'll make a blackberry cobbler tomorrow and maybe a loaf of
zucchini bread.

Show off! My poor old zucchinis have got so much powdery mildew on
them that I'll be amazed if I get another zucchini off them before
the frosts come.

gloat I have both fresh-frozen blackberries and shredded
zucchini in my freezer ... and several gallons of muscadines .

I haven't seen a muscadine in years, most people that buy land with
muscadines cut them down so they won't be in the way. Between
muscadines and possum grapes we used to make lots of jellies and
jams. I miss them but the builders don't like them.

What are you going to do with them?

Wine and jelly/jam . Might make some juice , the wife had a recipe for
grapes that should work .

Should work just fine. I've made all of the above with muscadines many
moons ago. Kids liked the juice, we like the wine, everyone liked the
jelly.

Friend in Louisiana had domestic muscadines, both the purple and the
green ones. They were also tasty fresh. Never understood the guy, had
four or five pear trees, muscadines growing on the hurricane fence, he
never did anything with them. We would go and pick over a hundred lbs of
pears for canning, offer him jars of the stuff, turned it down. I miss
his trees and vines since we moved back to Texas. We had lots of free
picking spots with folks who had inherited fruit trees, etc. and never
did anything with them. One friend cut down four very nice pear trees
because they were littering her yard. What a waste.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/7/2015 12:37 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Friend in Louisiana had domestic muscadines, both the purple and the
green ones. They were also tasty fresh. Never understood the guy, had
four or five pear trees, muscadines growing on the hurricane fence, he
never did anything with them.

Gee, that could be me. To the rear of the hovel is an "improved"
muscadine which, IIRC, was installed about 30-35 years ago. Wife and I
have no interest in the fruit, and because the vine is in an area we're
allowing to naturalize, it doesn't get much attention. I water it
during fruiting season, though: Blue jays and raccoons are
extraordinarily fond of the fruit. Better that than the tomatoes and
bell peppers. If I can beat the beasts to the punch, I sometimes pick a
few to deliver to a neighbor who eats them fresh and that's about it.

We would go and pick over a hundred lbs of
pears for canning, offer him jars of the stuff, turned it down. I miss
his trees and vines since we moved back to Texas. We had lots of free
picking spots with folks who had inherited fruit trees, etc. and never
did anything with them. One friend cut down four very nice pear trees
because they were littering her yard. What a waste.

LOL: I can see myself removing pear trees either to avoid mowing
around them or to replace them with native trees.

You're just sick Derald. G I can see the native pines beyond the fence
line and we loved our oak trees in Louisiana. Had a cherrybark oak in
the backyard that was nine feet in radius at four feet above the ground
and about sixty feet tall. Front yard tree was a white oak, just a bit
smaller than the cherrybark. Hurricane Rita knocked the white oak over.
Came home after the hurricane and the city had cut it up to get it out
of the street. Sat out their morning the tree, drinking a cup of dark
roast coffee, counted 401 growth lines on that tree. Should have saved a
cut of just for fun.

I truly prefer things that are planted to be used, fruit trees, berries,
etc. Should have bought a bunch of land when I was young and healthy and
put in all the fruit trees I wanted. Of course I didn't have the money
back then to do that. It's amazing how much money you can save when your
kids leave home. Had to move twice and they still found us.

I'm thinking of rebuilding the fence around the backyard and put in a
trellis over the back gate and maybe put a Doyle thornless blackberry on
that. Would look nice and give us lots of blackberries. We will see.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

We can plant carrots starting in mid-February through mid-April and then
it gets to hot to plant them. Probably should have put them in last
month for a good start. The soil stays fairly warm as we mostly have
sunshine every day.

I succession-plant carrots from about November until about now,
depending on temperature, although most years I optimistically (and
pointlessly) continue to plant until April. Despite the, no doubt,
brief cool spell we're having now, consistently cool weather definitely
is gone and planting carrots is just mean. However, I do have a little
patch of carrots of unknown variety (poor record keeping—they didn't
sign the register) in full bloom right now. Gonna save the seeds and
see what comes from them the coming autumn. Edible carrots, I hope.
Haven't grown zucchini for years and years but I do plant four
yellow squash seeds and three cucumber seeds each spring. Still a bit
early, but they'll probably go in next week. In these parts, one must
plant early in order to beat the insects and the mildew to the squash,
which usually succumbs in early summer.

We have much the same problems with insects and mildew. Last year DW
planted tomatoes along the back fence, very close together. Between the
cutworms and the stink bugs we hardly got a tomato off of them. She was
gone one weekend and I took every other plant out, pruned the heck out
of them, and, Lo!, no stink bugs and I could get to the worms. Put a
skewer on the fence and stuck the cutworms on them and the birds had a
feast. After that the mockingbirds were hoping around in the tomatoes
every day looking for more. The redbirds I shooed away as they ate the
seeds out of the tomatoes.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/03/2015 6:40 AM, George Shirley wrote:

I truly prefer things that are planted to be used, fruit trees, berries,
etc. Should have bought a bunch of land when I was young and healthy and
put in all the fruit trees I wanted. Of course I didn't have the money
back then to do that. It's amazing how much money you can save when your
kids leave home. Had to move twice and they still found us.

LOL. I too like growing productive plants so I can understand this very
well. I still plant things that I know I will never see come to peak
condition in my lifetime.

When I had my first cancer and did a bit of reading on how people coped
with cancer I read about visualisation was supposedly one of the ways of
fighting cancer. Somehow in my mind this morphed into what I'd really
choose to do if I knew I was popping my clogs in the very near future.
The ONLY thing that I could think of that I would really like to do
before I died was to buy a huge chunk of land and plant it with trees
and protect it in perpetuity.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/8/2015 4:58 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

I think we all want to leave something behind when we go, something
meaningful. All I ever wanted was to live and enjoy life and maybe a few
adventures along the way. I'm bumping 76 years already, outlived my
father, grandfather, and great grandfather and one of three uncles.
Multiple Transient Ischemic Attacks (small strokes), four major strokes,
two heart attacks with a bypass and multiple stents, etc. I reckon it's
modern medicine that kept me alive. Will I leave something significant
behind when I go? I've been married to the same woman, coming up on 55
years, two children, five grandchildren, six great grandchildren. My
kids are productive adults, both with college degrees, one of the grands
is working on her masters now, two of them are still in high school, the
other two elder grands are good fathers and husbands, have good jobs
with benefits, and they all walk the walk. Wife and I have taught all of
them the important things that we think lead to a good life. Things like
honesty, integrity, love of family, and, most importantly, how to
garden, preserve their own food, fix things without having to spend
money, and love your family and friends. Reckon that's as close to
immortality as we can get.

Old saying, "To wet to plow." Started raining about 2330 last night, I
was sitting up reading and it came a terrible down pour and has been
raining off and on up until this moment. 2.5 inches of rain so far, I
hope that predicts a good gardening year because we were going to plant
carrots and a few other things today. Instead we read the Sunday paper
and napped a lot. Old people and old dogs like to nap so all three of us
were happy. May the sun shine on your gardens and may the rain be gentle.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/03/2015 11:37 PM, The Cook wrote:

We have (snip) scuppernongs.

What a wonderful name. No idea what you are eating, but with a name
like that, it's gotta be good.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/03/2015 9:13 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Yep. Even if it's a brilliant compost pile :-))

[...]

Yep. Your post reminds me of the old saying about when an elder dies, a
library burns to the ground.

Old saying, "To wet to plow." Started raining about 2330 last night, I
was sitting up reading and it came a terrible down pour and has been
raining off and on up until this moment. 2.5 inches of rain so far, I
hope that predicts a good gardening year because we were going to plant
carrots and a few other things today. Instead we read the Sunday paper
and napped a lot. Old people and old dogs like to nap so all three of us
were happy. May the sun shine on your gardens and may the rain be gentle.

Thank you George and the same to you. The rain seems to have stopped
here and from now on it'll be dragging hoses till the frosts come and
the garden can go to sleep till September.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 7/03/2015 11:37 PM, The Cook wrote:

We have (snip) scuppernongs.

What a wonderful name. No idea what you are eating, but with a name
like that, it's gotta be good.

They're grapes , a variety of Muscadines . Our Muscadines are a wild variety
, fruit isn't all that large but when ripe they're very sweet and have an
incredible flavor .
--
Snag