Old 18-08-2015, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What does it mean if Zukes ...

Hi All,

No lawn watering this year. And, I got a watering wand.
I stick it under the canopy and blast away. So far, no
white powder mold. Yipee. I adjust the amount of water
till the leaves stopped wilting at the hottest part of
day. The little dears get pampered.

What does it mean when zukes:

1) their leaves start turning yellow? Am I missing
a nutrient? (Leaves and not wilting.) I Have this
on one plant on each side of the yard.

2) The zukes plants (5) on the side of the yard that are shaded
by the tomatoes are huge. But only one fruit per plant this
years. Lot of flowers though. Only one failed fruit in the
past two weeks. The plants on the other side of the yard
with direct sunlight are much smaller. And I get 1 to 2 fruit
off each of them each week. What does this mean?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 18-08-2015, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
What does it mean when zukes:

1) their leaves start turning yellow? Am I missing
a nutrient? (Leaves and not wilting.) I Have this
on one plant on each side of the yard.

could be that they figure they are done. there
can be variation between one plant and another - some
seed mixes include seeds from other varieties to help
improve pollination/fruiting. could be borers, could
be nutrients, could be water/heat stress, ...

2) The zukes plants (5) on the side of the yard that are shaded
by the tomatoes are huge. But only one fruit per plant this
years. Lot of flowers though. Only one failed fruit in the
past two weeks. The plants on the other side of the yard
with direct sunlight are much smaller. And I get 1 to 2 fruit
off each of them each week. What does this mean?

sounds like a pollination issue to me.

has it been pretty hot during this time?

are you seeing bees on/in the blossoms?

songbird
Old 18-08-2015, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/18/2015 05:55 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
What does it mean when zukes:

1) their leaves start turning yellow? Am I missing
a nutrient? (Leaves and not wilting.) I Have this
on one plant on each side of the yard.

could be that they figure they are done. there
can be variation between one plant and another - some
seed mixes include seeds from other varieties to help
improve pollination/fruiting. could be borers, could
be nutrients, could be water/heat stress, ...

I have compose and Dr. Earth's general purpose organic
fertilizer. Would you try one or both? The compose
has minerals added to it. (They give you a report, if
you ask for it.)

I have adjusted the water so the leaves do not wilt
during the worst heat of the day.

2) The zukes plants (5) on the side of the yard that are shaded
by the tomatoes are huge. But only one fruit per plant this
years. Lot of flowers though. Only one failed fruit in the
past two weeks. The plants on the other side of the yard
with direct sunlight are much smaller. And I get 1 to 2 fruit
off each of them each week. What does this mean?

sounds like a pollination issue to me.

has it been pretty hot during this time?

90 to 100 F. Humidity 10-20 %

are you seeing bees on/in the blossoms?

Yes. They chase me off. Those bees that don't make honey.

Only one failed fruit. When they don't get pollinated, I
see a lot of failed fruit. They look pretty sad.

songbird

Why no more new fruit on my zukes? Todd Gardening 17 12-08-2011 11:41 PM
Wilting Zukes Snag Edible Gardening 6 14-07-2011 05:10 PM
Zukes ond gender bias Paul M. Cook Gardening 11 07-08-2010 05:14 AM
Gad zukes Paul M. Cook Gardening 2 12-07-2010 09:12 AM
growing zukes for seed Dawn Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2004 05:06 PM