Old 16-11-2016, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default this fall has been pretty nice so far

i cannot complain in the slightest.

we are in for a change though from Friday's
forecast high of nearly 70F to a high of 37F
on Sunday.

in the gardens news, i've been working on
the 2nd to the last garden to have ready for
winter. friends brought over a load of
goodies yesterday so i also had to get those
either used on the strawberries or buried in
the garden. but today at least i almost
finished one edge of it (removing plants
growing there that keep spreading into the
garden). all those plants and the weeds on
the surface all get scraped and tossed into
a nice hole where they can feed the worms
for the next few years.

found a nice big fat healthy night-crawler
and was glad it was not injured so i put it
in a nice new spot and hope it can find a
good home there. plenty of goodies a few
feet down for it to burrow into. when i
first started gardening here there were no
night-crawlers at all and worms were not
around in large numbers. today's moving of
dirt found many more and evidence of worm
tunnels well down into the subsoil/clay. all
good to see as it means the methods are
accomplishing what i'd like.

after a bit of work tomorrow i can call
this garden done for this season (leaving
the other edge for next year -- that will be
a major project to clear that up).

Friday i hope i can get the last garden
taken care of.

when i was doing my math earlier in the
week i was happy to say that i had 1.2
gardens to go, but that 0.2 is taking three
days... haha. the 1.0 will take only a
few hours once we get the beets out of
there. a much smaller garden and the edges
are easy and don't need to be redone or
cleaned up much.

maybe i'll get pictures... someday.

any other garden news? not too much. with
the start of hunting season we've had deer
moving around and a few have been coming
through at night now to munch on some of the
clover. yesterday morning was like a war
zone around here with all the guns going
off.

ok, guess that is enough of my rambles for
now, peace, etc.

songbird
Old 16-11-2016, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/16/2016 4:49 PM, songbird wrote:
[...]

Our fall garden is doing well and the peppers that have been with us a
few years are still producing. In addition the eggplants are really
producing, we have as much as we need over the winter in the freezer in
various dish styles and we just had a mess of fried eggplant and okra
yesterday. Reckon the excess eggplant will go to the church pantry
again. Miz Anne says the ladies that work that pantry grin big when they
see her coming with a bunch of bags.

We're trying to eat as much as we can from the two freezers, mostly
looking at the oldest bags of whatever we can find. I keep most things
in plastic baskets in the big freezer but it looks like someone has been
pushing other things into the baskets. Will get it all opened up and try
to get everything where it is supposed to be and, this time, put labels
on the baskets. Might help, maybe, sometimes.

George, making biscuits and sausage gravy for a light dinner, turning
off colder nowadays and we may actually get a winter.

Old 19-11-2016, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 5:50:10 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
[...]

We've had highs in the mid-to-upper 60's here (north of Baltimore) for the past week but a cold front is blowing through which will bring us down around 50 tomorrow.

Paul
Old 19-11-2016, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/19/2016 3:40 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I'm glad my Maryland raised wife didn't have us stay in Maryland. I
spent two years there at Patuxent River NAS and nearly froze to death
both years. The day I checked in in December of 1958 it snowed about two
feet and this Texas boy had never, ever, seen snow. Then I spent two
more years on destroyers in the North Atlantic, up very close to the ice
pack. I liked Maryland really well from spring until fall, good fishing
in the river and the bay, lots of good people and totally different food
from Texas. Met lots of friendly farmers just cruising the countryside
and lots of beautiful scenery.

We will probably go up there next summer to visit her siblings and they
tell us St. Mary's County is now really crowded.

From what I see on the news it's a good thing you're north of Ballymore
Paul.

George