#1   Report Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 943
Default Trellis?

Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at growing schisandra this
spring. It is a climber.

Anyone have a favorite trellis for such?


Many thanks,
-T

  #2   Report Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,866
Default Trellis?

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at growing schisandra this
spring. It is a climber.

Anyone have a favorite trellis for such?


i depends upon how large the plant gets naturally.
i.e. how heavy and how strong the vines are. if they
will self-support or not. for the large grape vine i
had out back i put in poles in cement and then attached
2x4s and cross pieces to hold all the weight. what is
the growth habit? if it spreads out as it grows up
or does it just go up as high as it can and then
spreads out at the top.

also you have to figure your winds and the cross
section to the wind or any protection from the wind (like
if it is closer to the house or in a corner or there are
some blocking trees), etc.

hmm, likes a bit of shade and moist and well drained soil.
that's going to be a tough sell in your area. may need
to have a lot of mulch to keep it going.


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2019, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 943
Default Trellis?

On 11/12/19 6:05 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at growing schisandra this
spring. It is a climber.

Anyone have a favorite trellis for such?


i depends upon how large the plant gets naturally.
i.e. how heavy and how strong the vines are. if they
will self-support or not. for the large grape vine i
had out back i put in poles in cement and then attached
2x4s and cross pieces to hold all the weight. what is
the growth habit? if it spreads out as it grows up
or does it just go up as high as it can and then
spreads out at the top.

also you have to figure your winds and the cross
section to the wind or any protection from the wind (like
if it is closer to the house or in a corner or there are
some blocking trees), etc.

hmm, likes a bit of shade and moist and well drained soil.
that's going to be a tough sell in your area. may need
to have a lot of mulch to keep it going.


songbird


It can get 7' tall. And we also can have YUGE 100 MPH winds too, so
something that can bend with the wind and not break.
  #4   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2019, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,866
Default Trellis?

T wrote:
....
It can get 7' tall. And we also can have YUGE 100 MPH winds too, so
something that can bend with the wind and not break.


think triangle, teepee or dome and well anchored.


songbird
  #5   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2019, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 260
Default Trellis?

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:17:08 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 11/12/19 6:05 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at growing schisandra this
spring. It is a climber.

Anyone have a favorite trellis for such?


i depends upon how large the plant gets naturally.
i.e. how heavy and how strong the vines are. if they
will self-support or not. for the large grape vine i
had out back i put in poles in cement and then attached
2x4s and cross pieces to hold all the weight. what is
the growth habit? if it spreads out as it grows up
or does it just go up as high as it can and then
spreads out at the top.

also you have to figure your winds and the cross
section to the wind or any protection from the wind (like
if it is closer to the house or in a corner or there are
some blocking trees), etc.

hmm, likes a bit of shade and moist and well drained soil.
that's going to be a tough sell in your area. may need
to have a lot of mulch to keep it going.


songbird


It can get 7' tall. And we also can have YUGE 100 MPH winds too, so
something that can bend with the wind and not break.


Have you ever considered putting in a windmill to generate electricity? Depending on the size of your property and zoning codes, you might be able to get your local utility to install one that you could tap off of. I've been thinking of building a windmill for about 20 years now; might get around to in in the next 20.

Paul


  #6   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2019, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 943
Default Trellis?

On 11/12/19 6:41 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:17:08 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 11/12/19 6:05 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at growing schisandra this
spring. It is a climber.

Anyone have a favorite trellis for such?

i depends upon how large the plant gets naturally.
i.e. how heavy and how strong the vines are. if they
will self-support or not. for the large grape vine i
had out back i put in poles in cement and then attached
2x4s and cross pieces to hold all the weight. what is
the growth habit? if it spreads out as it grows up
or does it just go up as high as it can and then
spreads out at the top.

also you have to figure your winds and the cross
section to the wind or any protection from the wind (like
if it is closer to the house or in a corner or there are
some blocking trees), etc.

hmm, likes a bit of shade and moist and well drained soil.
that's going to be a tough sell in your area. may need
to have a lot of mulch to keep it going.


songbird


It can get 7' tall. And we also can have YUGE 100 MPH winds too, so
something that can bend with the wind and not break.


Have you ever considered putting in a windmill to generate electricity? Depending on the size of your property and zoning codes, you might be able to get your local utility to install one that you could tap off of. I've been thinking of building a windmill for about 20 years now; might get around to in in the next 20.

Paul


Not zones for it. Damned things are kind of noisy too,
maybe not windmills.

I have thought of solar panels on the roof, but the battery storage
involved takes a lot of space and is a fire hazard.

  #7   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2019, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 943
Default Trellis?

On 11/12/19 5:45 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
...
It can get 7' tall. And we also can have YUGE 100 MPH winds too, so
something that can bend with the wind and not break.


think triangle, teepee or dome and well anchored.


songbird


I am wondering if this is a good idea, considering our
winds. I think I will be designing a sail!

What if I just the plant to grow on the ground?
  #8   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2019, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,866
Default Trellis?

T wrote:
....
I have thought of solar panels on the roof, but the battery storage
involved takes a lot of space and is a fire hazard.


i only need a small amount of backup (so i can shut down
the computer in a good state) and to run an LED light if i
need one. as it turns out the computer battery back up
will do those things so i don't need a separate battery.

solar panels would be nice, but in the scale of things
water heating from sunlight is the best investment to
do at first. you can get hot water for a lot less than
full electricity replacement and then using solar to run
the pumps you can also use the extra heat in the winter.
where you are at with all the sun it pays for itself pretty
well. then once you have that up and running and it has
covered the expense of putting it in you can expand the
panels to supply the rest of your juice. stay on the
grid and don't bother with batteries if you can avoid them.

chances are that in the future you can have that all
incorporated in your car being plugged in so you won't
need two battery packs.


songbird
  #9   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2019, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,866
Default Trellis?

T wrote:
....
I am wondering if this is a good idea, considering our
winds. I think I will be designing a sail!


not if you don't have surfaces. i was talking about
the shape of the frame.


What if I just the plant to grow on the ground?


i don't know these plants enough to know how they
will respond.


songbird
  #10   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2019, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 943
Default Trellis?

On 11/16/19 5:40 AM, songbird wrote:
not if you don't have surfaces. i was talking about
the shape of the frame.


I am not following. There are trellises that don't
catch the wind?


  #11   Report Post  
Old 17-11-2019, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,866
Default Trellis?

T wrote:
On 11/16/19 5:40 AM, songbird wrote:
not if you don't have surfaces. i was talking about
the shape of the frame.


I am not following. There are trellises that don't
catch the wind?


the bare frame won't catch nearly as much as the plant
will if it has much in the way of leaves.

if you anchor the ribs well enough a tripod is very
stable against the wind. that is why i said teepee as
it is just more triangles/ribs...


songbird


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Made Trellis / Yard Swing Hanger George North Carolina 9 01-03-2003 05:49 AM
AD: Repair grape vine trellis wires quickly and inexpensively, No More cutting and splicing - Many C&C Fencing Supply Gardening 0 12-02-2003 02:25 PM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 02:45 AM
AD: Handy tool for tightening/maintaining Grape vine trellis wires, fences, etc - Jake's Wire Tight C&C Fencing Supply Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2003 02:43 AM
AD: Versatile product for tightening fences, deer stand guide wires, grape vine trellis', etc - Jak C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 06-02-2003 02:35 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017