Old 13-06-2003, 04:32 AM
perrin

Default Green beans and barley

Hi all, I'm new here.

I have got a problem with my green beans - they are about 20 cm tall but
have begun to bend and their leaves wither. How much water do they need?

Also can anyone provide some comments on growing barley?

PS - I'm from Singapore, i.e. tropical weather.

TIA.

--
cheers
Perrin

Old 13-06-2003, 08:56 AM

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:22:40 +0800, "perrin"
wrote:

Hi all, I'm new here.

I have got a problem with my green beans - they are about 20 cm tall but
have begun to bend and their leaves wither. How much water do they need?

Stick your finger in the dirt. If you don't detect moisture after the
first joint, they need water.

Does anything else in your garden exhibit the same behaviour?

--

Persephone

Old 13-06-2003, 09:20 AM
perrin

Thanks. What does it mean when the roots are turning brown?

--
cheers
Perrin

wrote in message
: On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:22:40 +0800, "perrin"
: wrote:
:
: Hi all, I'm new here.
:
: I have got a problem with my green beans - they are about 20 cm tall but
: have begun to bend and their leaves wither. How much water do they need?
:
: Stick your finger in the dirt. If you don't detect moisture after the
: first joint, they need water.
:
: Does anything else in your garden exhibit the same behaviour?
:
: --
:
: Persephone
:

Old 13-06-2003, 04:44 PM
FarmerDill

I have got a problem with my green beans - they are about 20 cm tall but
have begun to bend and their leaves wither. How much water do they need?

Also can anyone provide some comments on growing barley?

I would doubt that either green beans (P. vugarus) or barley will grow in
Singapore as these are cool weather plants. I would expect heat to take out
either, There is an African version(P. acutifolius) that might work in your
climate. On top of that, root rot oranisms seem to proliferate in warmer soils
evn in the souther part of the U.S.