Old 14-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Candie

Default Maggots in my Bean Stems

We have had such a cold spring here in northern Indiana that my plants are
just now coming up. My beans looked like they were doing good but today when
I went out I noticed a lot of the plants had wilted. I pulled up several of
the stems and many of them had what looked like maggots eating the inside of
the stem. The others looked like they had already been eaten. What can I do
to stop these critters from destroying my whole bean crop?

Candie

Old 15-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Candie said:

We have had such a cold spring here in northern Indiana that my plants are
just now coming up. My beans looked like they were doing good but today when
I went out I noticed a lot of the plants had wilted. I pulled up several of
the stems and many of them had what looked like maggots eating the inside of
the stem. The others looked like they had already been eaten. What can I do
to stop these critters from destroying my whole bean crop?

Insects that are inside of plants already are hard to kill.

I'd suggest you pull up and destroy the current crop and replant now that it is
warmer. Unless you are growing beans to dry or for shelling rather than as
snap beans, you should have plenty of time. Mid-June is just on the edge of
being too late to plant shell beans. Snap beans you should be able to plant
until mid-July and bring off a crop.

Sometimes you just have to accept bad results that are out of your control and
move on...
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)