Old 17-06-2003, 11:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default a newbie corn question...

I'm growing a small amount of Burpee Early and Often corn. They say
"produces 8" ears continuously throughout the early season, but not
all at the same time". Having never seen a stalk of corn in my
life--I'm clueless.

My largest stalk is throwing out a second stalk at the base. Is this
something to be avoided (pinching out)? Does only one ear grow on a
stalk? Anyone plant Early and Often?
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 18-06-2003, 12:56 AM
FarmerDill

I'm growing a small amount of Burpee Early and Often corn. They say
"produces 8" ears continuously throughout the early season, but not
all at the same time". Having never seen a stalk of corn in my
life--I'm clueless.

Nevr planted that one. Usually continuos ly through the early season just
means that the corn does not have uniform maturity.My largest stalk is
throwing out a second stalk at the base. Is this
something to be avoided (pinching out)? Does only one ear grow on a
stalk? Anyone plant Early and Often?
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

A second or third stalk at the base is called a tiller or a sucker depending on
your section of the country. They rarely form a usable ear but I for one never
pull them although some folks do, There are corns that will bear two ears to
the stalk, but many don't so I don't know about yours.

first garden, corn question Lucy Edible Gardening 7 27-01-2011 05:44 PM
Question on "Sweet Corn" Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-10-2008 09:09 AM
question ! best corn variety for Florida N M Gardening 0 29-03-2004 05:02 AM
Corn question Philip Edible Gardening 0 12-09-2003 09:23 PM
Weed suppressors, was corn gluten meal question Nicole H Edible Gardening 0 24-01-2003 06:21 AM