Old 18-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Two Snakes

Default Onions

What do you need to do to onion plants while they are maturing in
order for them to grow into large slicing onions?
Old 18-06-2003, 12:56 AM
FarmerDill

What do you need to do to onion plants while they are maturing in
order for them to grow into large slicing onions?

Start with a large variety suited to your area. Plant at least 4 inches apart
in fertile soil. Keep competing weeds and grasses out. start pulling onions
when the tops fall over.
Old 18-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Two Snakes said:

What do you need to do to onion plants while they are maturing in
order for them to grow into large slicing onions?

You need to choose the right varieties for your location, long day/spring
planted in the north, short day/fall planted in the south. ZThere are some
'day neutral' onions that can be grown north and south ('Super Star' is an
All American Winner in this class). Up here in Michigan you need to get your
onions in before May 10 if you want to ensure having good sized, well-cured
onions for storage.

Keep them weed free, space them far enough apart, water plenty and fertilize them
lightly while they are small. Cut back the water when the bulbs size up and
stop growing.

You can harvest green onions and green bulbing onions for fresh use through the
growing season. When the tops fall over and dry up, you can harvest for storage.

Medium sized onions need at least 4" spacing all around, large onions 6" and
the 'exhibition' type giant onions would like even more space.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Seeker

You can harvest green onions and green bulbing onions for fresh use
through the
growing season. When the tops fall over and dry up, you can harvest for

storage.

I just planted some two weeks ago. I noticed that there is a bit of red
above the soil. Maybe I didn't plant deep enough. Should I add some
topsoil to bury them a bit more?

Old 18-06-2003, 04:56 PM
jc

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Two Snakes said:

What do you need to do to onion plants while they are maturing in
order for them to grow into large slicing onions?

You need to choose the right varieties for your location, long

day/spring
planted in the north, short day/fall planted in the south. ZThere are

some
'day neutral' onions that can be grown north and south ('Super Star'

is an
All American Winner in this class). ...

A better term for Candy and Super Star might be "intermediate day".
In Phx AZ I've been trying Super Star since its introduction as an AAS
winner in 2001 and Candy a few years before that. Get a few 3 inch
bulbs but most either go to seed or stop growing when it gets too hot.
The short day varieties like Grano and Granex (Vidalia type) are pretty
reliable here. Our onion season is pretty much over with. Still have a
few Granos going for seeds. -Olin

Old 18-06-2003, 05:44 PM
FarmerDill

I just planted some two weeks ago. I noticed that there is a bit of red
above the soil. Maybe I didn't plant deep enough. Should I add some
topsoil to bury them a bit more?

No! Onion bulbs form best when aboutlf of it is above ground