Old 22-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Simon Stenkle

Default agricultural schools

has anyone here formally studied agriculture? where did you go? any
feedback?

simon

Old 23-06-2003, 04:44 AM
The Tucson Bender

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:10:49 GMT, "Simon Stenkle"
wrote:

has anyone here formally studied agriculture? where did you go? any
feedback?

-----
Yes. U of Arizona in Tucson. B.S. in Plant Sciences with emphasis in
Horticulture. M.S. in Soil Sciences with emphasis in soil chemistry
and nutrient availability.

Feedback? If you formally want to study plants even undergrad, you'd
better feel somewhat comfortable with biochemistry. Plant physiology
hits biochem very hard. Also plant genetics, but to a lesser extent.

If you want a graduate degree in Plant Sciences, you'd better love
molecular biology/biochemistry. Advanced Plant Genetics and Advanced
Plant Physiology were both pretty wicked trying to remember the
different metabolic pathways in plants.

Aggie studies, especially plants, seem to be regional. iow, we
emphasize citrus, cotton and turfgrasses (for golf courses) here. In
the midwest it'd likely be corn, wheat and soybeans.

Old 24-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim W

Old 24-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim W

Simon Stenkle wrote:

has anyone here formally studied agriculture? where did you go? any
feedback?

simon

Not Agric. but Horticulture.. To HND level at University. I get the
impression overall that courses and countries differ a LOT in their
methods and syllabus.

I studied at UCLANC in Lancashire UK.

//
Jim
Old 24-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Noydb

Simon Stenkle wrote:

has anyone here formally studied agriculture? where did you go? any
feedback?

simon

I took a course in agrostology (turf grasses) at Oakland County Comm.
College (Michigan, USA) that I thought was well worth the time & money. My
lawn looks great and I am absolutely certain that I am applying the proper
products at the proper times and in the proper amounts to meet well-defined
goals / oppose well-understood problems.

Bill

Old 28-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Fudge

University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, Canada is world famous. Your can
find their website really easy. I took some excellent night courses there
many moons ago.

Farmer John

"Simon Stenkle" wrote in message
has anyone here formally studied agriculture? where did you go? any
feedback?

simon

Progress Report: Culture for Schools - Colleges - Universities family-living Lawns 0 18-09-2008 02:01 PM
Botany Schools CJS Plant Science 0 05-09-2006 06:45 AM
Good grad schools for Botany Lewis Lang Plant Science 0 06-02-2005 10:27 AM
wildlife gardens for schools gardenadvice United Kingdom 0 30-11-2003 04:05 PM
Farmer field schools... and more (LEISA) Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 0 04-05-2003 10:57 AM