Old 28-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Missy

Default tomato plants

This year I planted 14 tomato plants. They did very well at first,
but now have stopped growing. I have plenty of tomato's on them, but
they dont' seem to be making any more, and the plants have died down
a lot. It's been pretty wet in my garden, we've been getting a lot
of rain.. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 29-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:49:36 -0400,
Pat Meadows scribbled:

On 28 Jun 2003 11:37:37 -0700,
(Missy) wrote:

This year I planted 14 tomato plants. They did very well at first,
but now have stopped growing. I have plenty of tomato's on them, but
they dont' seem to be making any more, and the plants have died down
a lot. It's been pretty wet in my garden, we've been getting a lot
of rain.. Any suggestions?

What have the temps been? Cold and wet tomatoes aren't happy
campers.

If they are determinate tomato plants, then they'll get most
(all?) of their tomatoes and stop growing.

Indeterminate tomatoes keep growing until frost-killed
(forever, in warm climates, I suppose - anyway, a long
time).

I usually have a pretty generous growing season, first frost
some years isn't until almost Thanksgiving, but I find the
most tomato plants seem to peter out by October at the latest,
and a lot of those don't make it through the August heat.. A few
will still be spitting out green tomatoes until the first hard
freeze, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Russian Silvery Fur Tree tomatoes are one of my favorites
for just that reason. They start producing early, take a break
during the worst of the heat, then crank back up in September.
Sadly, they have proved especially vulnerable to the biological
weapons of the dastardly spit!Thrips.

I didn't plant any this year as it seems an exercise in futility,
but I know I'm gonna miss 'em come fall.

Pam

--
Tuba players are like the bikers of the band.
-Dr. Mark Chachich
Old 04-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Aria

My tomatoes always split open before they are ripe and then they rot. What
could be causing this?

"JANEW." wrote in message ...
Seems a bit early. Depending where you live, tomatoes shouldn t be
transplanted out earlier than late April or May.

Many people try planting tomatoes too early. A cold snap that hits after
being transplanted can damage the plants roots and the plants will not
grow well after that.

rose wrote:

I've just started my tomato seed indoors (zone 8).

Each year, my tomato plants do not have that "thick
trunk", like the tomato plants sold in stores.

How do I grow tomato plants with thick trunks, for
transplanting after frost?