Old 07-07-2003, 04:58 AM
Penny Goulden

Default pumpkin plants

I hope someone can help me. i have pumpkin plants grwing in my garden.
They have started to sprout curly feelers if thats what they are called.
Are they needed? can I pluck them off? they are starting to attatch to my
other plants in the garden. thanks.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Ken & Sally

These "curly feelers" can be removed with no damage to the plant. I remove
them simply to lay an organized pattern to the vines rather than having them
crawl over everything.....Ken

Old 10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
MacTech

I hope someone can help me. i have pumpkin plants grwing in my garden.
They have started to sprout curly feelers if thats what they are called.
Are they needed? can I pluck them off? they are starting to attatch to my
other plants in the garden. thanks.

Do not pluck the feelers off. Those are secondary root systems. When
the vine is laying on the ground those feelers will bring nutrients
directly into the vine. They also help anchor the plant, without them
you can end up with a shredded plant the next time a big wind blows.
You should gently unwind them from the other plants and lay the vine
on the ground.

Randy

Share the View.
http://ruralroute2.com
Old 12-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Ken & Sally

I believe you're refering to secondary roots that develop later under each leaf
junction......"Secondary roots potentially can develop on the vine at the base
of each leaf stem . Encourage this as much as possible. The secondary roots can
add weight to your fruit. A second benefit of secondary roots is that it
anchors the plant in the ground along the entire vine system and allows the
plant to better withstand windstorms.".......I removed all the "curly feelers"
from my 854 lber last year....Ken

Old 12-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Noydb

MacTech wrote:

I hope someone can help me. i have pumpkin plants grwing in my garden.
They have started to sprout curly feelers if thats what they are
called. Are they needed? can I pluck them off? they are starting to
attatch to my
other plants in the garden. thanks.

Do not pluck the feelers off. Those are secondary root systems. When
the vine is laying on the ground those feelers will bring nutrients
directly into the vine. They also help anchor the plant, without them
you can end up with a shredded plant the next time a big wind blows.
You should gently unwind them from the other plants and lay the vine
on the ground.

Randy

Share the View.
http://ruralroute2.com

It sounds to me like the person asking the initial question was referring to
the tendrils, not the secondary roots. The tendrils (IIRC) are a modified
leaf (or is that a modified stem? I forget which) that reacts to shade by
growing toward it, thus wrapping itself around anything it touches because
the point where it touches blocks off the light.

Roots are good. Leave them alone.

If tendrils wrap around other plants and threaten them, remove the tendrils.
I usually unwrap them but if there were too many to do this with, would
probably nip them off with a knife or garden shears.

Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 16-07-2003, 06:10 AM
news.verizon.net

Are you a member of BP or Mallorn? do I know you?

korney19

MacTech wrote:

I hope someone can help me. i have pumpkin plants grwing in my

garden.
They have started to sprout curly feelers if thats what they are

called.
Are they needed? can I pluck them off? they are starting to attatch to

my
other plants in the garden. thanks.

Do not pluck the feelers off. Those are secondary root systems. When
the vine is laying on the ground those feelers will bring nutrients
directly into the vine. They also help anchor the plant, without them
you can end up with a shredded plant the next time a big wind blows.
You should gently unwind them from the other plants and lay the vine
on the ground.

Randy

Share the View.
http://ruralroute2.com

pumpkin plants producing no female flowers [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 05-08-2008 03:31 AM
identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup meee Australia 1 28-11-2005 03:14 AM
taming a pumpkin plant Tom Elliott Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
More pumpkin advice Luke Australia 2 08-03-2003 07:45 AM
Pumpkin Advice Luke Australia 3 22-02-2003 09:34 PM