Old 07-07-2003, 04:58 AM
FDR

Default Cutworm post followup

I thought I'd follow-up to my post last week about some of my tomato plants
being attacked by cutworms.

In hindsight I think the problem was a mold that ate away the flesh of the
bottom main stem of my tomato plants. Anyway, there was one plant that
looked like it was going to die so I ripped it out of the ground and stuck
it in a bucket of water overnight. I added a little fish emulsion/kelp to
the water. The next day the plant looked very much alive. Since I was
going away for a week I couldn't leave it in the water so I dug a hole in
the ground about 6 inches, cut off the root ball and in the process broke
some of the bottom of the stem, and planted tit in the ground. I dumped the
water from the bucket on the ground around the plant.

I have my garden on drip irrigation timer so it got watered every other day.
I returned a week later expecting a dead plant but to my surprise it was
still alive. It appeared to be wilting though.

I probably should take the small green tomatoes off of it so it doesn't
stress it so much, but since I have other plants that are ok, I'm just going
to let it go as-is and see what happens.

So yes, it looks like a fairly mature plant (formerly 2 feet tall) can be
saved.

Maybe I'll give another update in a month to let you know how it does in the
long run.

Thanks to the people here who offered suggestions on what to do. They were
valuable.

Rob
Zone 5a (Syracuse, NY)