Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

Default followup on Blackbird posting

Thanks to those who posted links to pics of these introduced Blackbirds.
It seems that they are /Turdus merula/ so I went looking for large clear
photos and was impressed by this selection:

http://hjem.get2net.dk/birds_of_denm...dus_merula.htm

The male is so similar in many ways to the Indian mynah that, given just
a can of black spray paint, I reckon I could transform a mynah into a
good likeness of the male Blackbird. Blackbirds even seem to adopt the
same cocky stance as the mynahs.

For the record, an Indian mynah is not a Blackbird.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

Thanks to those who posted links to pics of these introduced Blackbirds.
It seems that they are /Turdus merula/

Next time I have a problem, I can refer to them as little turduses, and nobody
can object!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

The most consistent empirical proof from history is the doctrine of human
depravity. -- Chuck Colson
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

Chookie writes:
It seems that they are /Turdus merula/

Next time I have a problem, I can refer to them as little turduses, and nobody
can object!

Indeed, and the audience would be right there with you!

To take it even further, you'd slay them if you threw a bbq and invited
the whole neighbourhood over to an unforgettable feast of char-grilled
marinated buffalo, Bufo marinus.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Barbara

"John Savage" wrote in message
om
Chookie writes:
It seems that they are /Turdus merula/

Next time I have a problem, I can refer to them as little turduses,
and nobody can object!

Indeed, and the audience would be right there with you!

To take it even further, you'd slay them if you threw a bbq and
invited the whole neighbourhood over to an unforgettable feast of
char-grilled marinated buffalo, Bufo marinus.

Yuk!
Did you know crows have learnt how to eat parts of them yet avoid the
poisonous parts? I have watched a couple of them lately, not a pretty sight,
but then neither are the bufos
Clever crows.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Barbara" wrote:

To take it even further, you'd slay them if you threw a bbq and
invited the whole neighbourhood over to an unforgettable feast of
char-grilled marinated buffalo, Bufo marinus.

Oh yummy! I suggest prickly pears for afters.

Did you know crows have learnt how to eat parts of them yet avoid the
poisonous parts? I have watched a couple of them lately, not a pretty sight,
but then neither are the bufos
Clever crows.

Next thing you know, they'll be running for Parliament.

Hang on...

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
lambertia

John Savage wrote in message news:030112000103348.12Jan03$rookswood@suburbian. com...
Thanks to those who posted links to pics of these introduced Blackbirds.
It seems that they are /Turdus merula/ so I went looking for large clear
photos and was impressed by this selection:

http://hjem.get2net.dk/birds_of_denm...dus_merula.htm

The male is so similar in many ways to the Indian mynah that, given just
a can of black spray paint, I reckon I could transform a mynah into a
good likeness of the male Blackbird. Blackbirds even seem to adopt the
same cocky stance as the mynahs.

For the record, an Indian mynah is not a Blackbird.

All this talk of blackbirds and minors has jinxed me. lol. I had never
spotted either until recently now they seem to be settling in . I
blame the drought, they don't usually venture this far in, my biggest
worry is if the drought ever breaks are they going to be settled for
good? Hope not
Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
John Savage

Chookie writes:
invited the whole neighbourhood over to an unforgettable feast of
char-grilled marinated buffalo, Bufo marinus.

Oh yummy! I suggest prickly pears for afters.

Neat choice! But unless afters are served quickly, diners might have no
appetite for dessert.

Clever crows.

Next thing you know, they'll be running for Parliament.

You're verrrrrrry sharp!! A crossword afficionado, methinks?
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
John Savage

"Barbara" writes:
"John Savage" wrote:
invited the whole neighbourhood over to an unforgettable feast of
char-grilled marinated buffalo, Bufo marinus.

Yuk!
Did you know crows have learnt how to eat parts of them yet avoid the
poisonous parts? I have watched a couple of them lately, not a pretty sight,
but then neither are the bufos

I had heard it only about roadkills, that they'd flip them over and eat
out the gut. As it was only a few north Qld crows that had discovered this,
people were wondering whether other crows would mimic them so eventually
we'd see the technique catching on all around the country. Are you saying
that you saw a crow catch a live one and gut it? In what part of the
country did you observe this?

Clever crows.

I agree. If any bird is going to find a way to make a meal of Bufo it would
be Corvus. Did you see the David Attenborough series on birds, where the
crow would drop nuts at a pedestrian crossing for passing car tyres to crack,
then he'd wait, and when the pedestrian lights turned green he'd walk out in
front of the halted cars and leisurely collect the pieces? (But no, he hadn't
yet mastered the pedestrian button!)
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

You're verrrrrrry sharp!! A crossword afficionado, methinks?

In the old days BC (Before Child). Wonder when I'll next do one...

Blackbird problem ken1956 Gardening 4 25-05-2005 04:23 PM
Posting wrongfully in HTML instead of plain text and posting JPG's madgardener Gardening 26 24-03-2005 11:59 AM
Top Posting; Snop Posting: STOP POSTING! chagoi Ponds 8 17-11-2004 03:08 PM
Newbie: Help !! Magpie ate my blackbird chicks !! john.morgan United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
OT - Blackbird seems to be sunbathing! Chris United Kingdom 1 23-05-2004 08:06 PM