Old 08-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): how to keeps cats out

writes:

Glenna ... might also have no chickens. If there is a way in there, the
cats
will find it. In the process they could simply scare the chickens to
death.

Usually that might be true, but not of these particular chickens. They
are quite bold critters. With them, it'd be the other way around, the
chickens would scare the cats to death. I used to have quite a problem
with neighbor cats in the yard, but that has been cured in the daytime
hours when the chickens are out. LOL

These chickens will chase the cats; at least two of them do. Cats are
smart, but they aren't smart enough to differentiate between chickens. g
My own cats don't run from them anymore, but they don't go out of their
way to bother them either. It has been quite amusing to watch the
interaction. My cats will sit around the outside of the pen where the
chickens are closed up at night but will not go inside when the door is
open, even during the daytime hours, which leads me to believe there might
be a story that goes with that, a story their human will never know. g

I had a dog for three months which I sadly had to give up, and Waverly (an
especially ornery red hen) would go after her. If I hadn't already trained
her to not chase the chickens, that would have done it for sure. I told a
friend about it, and he said, "I can see it now, all of Glenna's chickens
have little shock collars to keep them from chasing the dog." LOL

Yet, as bold as they are, they are big babies and follow me all around
like little puppies, talking to me like a purring cat. They were
heartbroken when I confined them to a smaller portion of the yard; they
had the entire back yard all winter. One day, I came in the back gate
over the RV pad and all ten of them were sitting on my back step waiting
for me to come out the door; one saw me and came running and the other
nine right behind her. For someone who didn't know what was going on, it
would be a bit scary to see that many chickens swooping down (well, not
down) at them. There was quite an article in the paper several months ago
about a chicken problem in Spokane, Washington, where rural areas had been
annexed. The livestock was grandfathered in and one woman in particular
was upset about it. Her stand was, "Chickens are not pets." All I can
say to her is come to my yard. I swear that sometimes it seems each
chicken knows her name. That cannot be true, but it seems like it. I know
I'm imagining it, but sometimes one will seem to know that I'm annoyed
with her. One day, I carelessly left my back door open (fortunately they
have not learned to go through the dog door!) and there was a deposit left
in front of the door on the laundry room floor. I was more than a bit
annoyed, both at myself for being so careless and at her, whichever one it
was, for coming in the laundry room. Two hours later, when I stepped out
the back door, there was an egg laying on the door mat! I swear. It was
like she was saying, "I'm sorry," though I know there is no way she could
reason such things out (no way to even know if it was the same chicken).
Heck, lots of people can't figure out to say they're sorry so a chicken
surely can't. All critters have their funner times. :-)

After these chickens arrived last September, my son (whose friend I bought
them from) told me he had said they would kill mice and that his own cats
were terrified of the chickens. I can believe a cat or even a dog might
be when I remember how very terrifying a mama chicken with babies could be
coming at you with wings flapping, squawking and jumping at you, nothing,
however, compared to a gander!

Glenna
(the one with the ornery chickens)

Keeps out more than leaves! Hank Ponds 3 05-12-2003 01:03 PM
reply to: Keeps out more than leaves! Hank Ponds 1 04-12-2003 03:22 AM
how to keeps cats out Tmcl Edible Gardening 14 31-07-2003 04:32 PM
Re(2): how to keeps cats out Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 03:08 AM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM