Old 06-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Tmcl

Default how to keeps cats out

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun. I
have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare machines
bought for the job no avail.#
Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:26:39 +0100, "Tmcl"
wrote:

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun. I
have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare machines
bought for the job no avail.#
Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

Our veggie plot (fenced) is surrounded by our dogs' fenced
area - there's a large fenced area (the dogs' area) with a
smaller fenced area (the veggie garden) inside it.

So it's protected by a [moat of dogs]. No cats. No rabbits
or woodchucks or deer or raccoons either, at least so far.

Pat

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
B. Joshua Rosen

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:26:39 +0100, Tmcl wrote:

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun. I
have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare
machines bought for the job no avail.#
Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

There are repellents that work, I don't know the brand names but you
should be able to find them in a pet store.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:47 AM
dstvns

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:26:39 +0100, "Tmcl" wrote:

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun. I
have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare machines
bought for the job no avail.#
Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

Dried-out dead thorns from local thorn bushes. One thorn in the paw
and they wont come back (at least that particular one).

Dan

Old 07-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Tim Tyler

Tmcl wrote:

: how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun.

I stick lots of short bamboo stakes in the ground on any bare patches.
--
__________

Old 07-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Jack1000

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun. I
have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare machines
bought for the job no avail.#
Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

I've seen water sprinklers that work on a motion detecter sold at better
gardening centers, I think they were about $70.00. I'm sure you will enjoy
watching the cats jump when the water goes on. You might even sell tickets to
your friends to cover the cost of the unit. If you don't remember to turn it
off before going to work it will remind you.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Bill Ranseen

In article , "Tmcl"
wrote:

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun.
have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare
machines
bought for the job no avail.#
Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

You might try one of those sprayer-hooked-to-motion-sensor thingys.
Kinda spendy, but every cat I've ever known hated getting wet. Never
tried one myself but the some of the folks in rec.ponds seem to find
them effective for raccoons.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:09 AM

Moat of dogs!
Excellent idea and grand visual image.
Roz
az usa

Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 AM
EvelynMcH

I planted catnip at one end of the bed, and made sure that nothing crushable
was too close. I get regular visits from the neighborhood cats, but they all
hang out by the catnip and leave the rest alone - not a poop in the bed since.

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
Old 18-07-2003, 12:02 AM
John Savage

Bill Ranseen
In article , "Tmcl"
wrote:

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun.

You need something silent???

You might try one of those sprayer-hooked-to-motion-sensor thingys.
Kinda spendy, but every cat I've ever known hated getting wet. Never
tried one myself but the some of the folks in rec.ponds seem to find
them effective for raccoons.

My understanding is that getting the cat wet is HALF the solution, and the
other half is to make the solution nasty-tasting so that as the fastidious
cat cleans itself of the distasteful water the repulsion it feels for that
part of the garden is indelibly reinforced. A few spoonsful of vinegar in
with the water should do the trick.

For a truly persistent trespasser, I might be tempted to add a small
measure of Icapec Syrup. See whether it returns for more medicine...

Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting
catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood. ;-)
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 19-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Catherine Caling

Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting
catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood. ;-)

LOL I feel very tempted to try that after having a neighbours cat yowling
under my window for the last week at 3am in the morning
: )

Old 21-07-2003, 02:32 PM
noone_atallus

Catherine Caling wrote in message

Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting
catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood.

;-)

LOL I feel very tempted to try that after having a neighbours cat yowling
under my window for the last week at 3am in the morning

I've heard that crushing about 5-10 extra strength acetaminophen tablets
into a fine powder and mixing with either cream, milk, or any cat favored
food should stop them from returning ever again (know what I mean ...nudge
nudge, wink wink)

Old 22-07-2003, 03:48 AM
The Guy

In article ,
"Catherine Caling" wrote:

Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting
catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood. ;-)

LOL I feel very tempted to try that after having a neighbours cat yowling
under my window for the last week at 3am in the morning
: )

Well I have a catnip plant in a 5-gal container surrounded by chicken
wire (with the intent of drying some for a relatives cat which lives
elsewhere), about 6 ft way is a 4' x 4' raised bed garden (sweet corn
using the sq foot gardening method. Anyway the catnip leaves protruding
thru the chicken wire are trashed to about 18" above ground level but
the cat(s) seem to leave the raised bed garden alone as well as others
about 30' away...maybe the catnip distracts them from laying tootsie
rolls. YMMV

Steve O

Old 31-07-2003, 04:32 PM

John Savage writes:

John Bill Ranseen
In article , "Tmcl"
wrote:

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun.

John You need something silent???

You might try one of those sprayer-hooked-to-motion-sensor thingys.
Kinda spendy, but every cat I've ever known hated getting wet. Never
tried one myself but the some of the folks in rec.ponds seem to find
them effective for raccoons.

John My understanding is that getting the cat wet is HALF the solution, and the
John other half is to make the solution nasty-tasting so that as the fastidious
John cat cleans itself of the distasteful water the repulsion it feels for that
John part of the garden is indelibly reinforced. A few spoonsful of vinegar in
John with the water should do the trick.

John For a truly persistent trespasser, I might be tempted to add a small
John measure of Icapec Syrup. See whether it returns for more medicine...

John Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting
John catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood. ;-)

I wish I could get cats back into my garden.

For the last few years our young cat patrolled the yard
16 hours a day, and I had almost no problems. Now that
she was eaten by a coyote the yard is overrun with chipmunks
(seem to be eating my wife's flowers), rabbits (nibble on
the vegies) and the deeply hated woodchucks (ate all the
carrots, snap peas, beans, lettuce, zuc flowers, and most
recently, cuke leaves). I caught my second yesterday,
so I have some hope the zucs and cukes will come back...

Worst year yet. Damn, where are the coyotes when you need
them.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)

Keeps out more than leaves! Hank Ponds 3 05-12-2003 01:03 PM
reply to: Keeps out more than leaves! Hank Ponds 1 04-12-2003 03:22 AM
Re(2): how to keeps cats out Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 08-07-2003 06:56 AM
Re(2): how to keeps cats out Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 03:08 AM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM