Old 10-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Simon Stenkle

Default Green Grape Tomatoes

I am growing green grape tomatoes for the second year in a row, and have
observed them to be smaller, lower yielding, and later to mature than any of
the other 25 or so heirloom varieties I've tried. Has anyone else found
this to be the case? Is there not perhaps some very specific need they have
which distinguishes them from other tomato plants?

simon

Old 11-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Simon Stenkle

Were the sizes of the green grape plants any different? Mine for example
were about 1/3 to 1/5 the height of my other plants but still quite strong
and healthy. They appear to be more of a bush variety, the foliage was
extremely dense and the plants very stocky. The pattern appears to be
repeating again this year.

Out of curiosity are you able to find heirloom vegetable plants at local
retail centers, or do you have to order seeds?

simon
"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941019ec7233b9aca00a9421a96.19ec755@p mug.org...
writes:
I am growing green grape tomatoes for the second year in a row, and have
observed them to be smaller, lower yielding, and later to mature than any
of
the other 25 or so heirloom varieties I've tried. Has anyone else found
this to be the case? Is there not perhaps some very specific need they
have
which distinguishes them from other tomato plants?

simon

I'll have to go by last year's crop since the green grape tomatoes were
all gone! :-(

The Green Grapes for the last two years were basically the same size as
the Yellow Pear and Black Plum. They are not as prolific as Sun Gold and
Yellow Pear or even Dr. Caroline but the size is still respectable; they
are a small tomato.

As for difference in care, my are all cared for the same way. Most of my
plants are heirloom varieties which all do well.

Just my experience.

Glenna