Old 11-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Pea Questions (was: A rewarding day)

In article m,
Ross Reid wrote:

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

Much snippage.

A lot of ours (Freezonian) went to waste though because we did not care
for them. It may be that they just do not do well in our area
(Missouri). The Knights were much better. So my husband tilled in the
remaining peas and planted the corn. And now lots of peas are coming up
with the corn Way too hot for peas but it looks kinda cool.

I saw your post over in rec.gardens.edible and thought it might be a
good use for these "volunteer" peas you're now getting. Although
Asian-type pea greens (Dow miao) are usually from snow peas, it is
possible to use the tender shoots of garden peas. Just use the tender
top 10 inches or so. Can't hurt to try them anyway.

Yes, I will do that! You're right, it cannot hurt to try them. And
next year, we will do more snow peas for greens.

Here's the URL of a small .pdf file that I have saved in the
gardening/food section of my computer.
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/peashootbroc.pdf

I DLd it and it's great! Thanks! One of the things I most love about
pea greens is the texture of the little curly tendrils. Goofy, huh?

Good info on the subject there.
BTW, peas are a great fall crop so, you don't have to wait until next
year to plant them, particularly if you want them mainly for greens.

My husband says he's planted fall peas in the past with bad luck. But
it has been so long since he tried that he does not remember what
happened. Is there some trick to planting them in the fall in the
midwest (Missoouri), do you (or anyone else) know? We'd love to try
again but we are just not sure when to plant them. It is extremely hot
(90s) here all thru August with the first frosts at the very end of
October and with nice weather off and on thru November.

..

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Herb gardening can be simple and rewarding Earl Buchan Gardening 0 04-03-2004 08:52 PM
Herb gardening can be simple and rewarding Earl Buchan Gardening 0 04-03-2004 08:21 PM